RE: draft-kurtis-multihoming-longprefix comments

Eliot Lear wrote:
> Over time we still have DNS to allow for people to make
> changes.  This
> means that one has to work the transition such that prefixes
> can change
> at the convenience of the end user.

My name does not change when I move or change cell providers, but it is
still painful and expensive to touch every place that has the name to
address mapping. Multiply that for larger enterprises, and the numbers
get big enough for budget watchers to notice.

Also, we already see a market for email redirection, where an email
address can stay consistent over ISP changes. Clearly some people don't
want to deal with changing the mappings from their name to the locator
info if they don't have to, and large enterprises do this all the time
by registering their own names rather than taking a subdomain from the
ISP. In any case, DNS is not the only place names are translated into
addresses, so we must not base an approach on the assumption that it is.

Tony