RE: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

Pekka,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> If a sunset is required, then requesting a "special" 6bone pTLA
>> would be the way to go.

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> Tying this to 6bone is an interesting idea, but the death of
> bone may be too soon..

Which is why I am on the side that says the 6bone beginning to shut down
in 2004 is too early. If it is an experiment and/or needs a sunset, why
would NOT it be in the 6bone?

> Note that there are other motivations for multihoming than
> wanting not to renumber.

Of course.

> Renumbering _once_, when the mechanism is retired in 5 years
> (or whatever) could be entirely acceptable.

I am not convinced. If part of the 6bone, then there are reasonable
guarantees that the prefix would indeed be withdrawn. If this was to be
a one-of-a-kind thing, you can be sure that the people that were all for
a sunset will sing another song 5 years later facing renumbering and
will strongly lobby to transform the temporary allocation into a
permanent one.

In other words, I'm all for it if it's part of the 6bone, otherwise I'll
fight it because it will be impossible to sunset.

Michel.