RE: Draft: PI addressing derived from AS numbers

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Michel Py wrote:
> > Pekka Savola wrote:
> > The point of the model, as far as I thought it, at
> > least was that:
> > - those who already have an AS number, fine-- go for it
> > (these would possibly contribute to some 1,000+ routes
> > in IPv6 DFZ, the absolute number is peanuts, but of
> > course there may be some layer 8 (and up) avalanche
> > effects)
>
> I think this resumes it well. If it was not for the avalanche effects
> (including a land rush to get ASNs) it could be workable.

There should _not_ be a land rush to get ASN's.. as those gold miners
should realize that the specification as written will give them _nothing_.
(Well, except for the 2,000-3,000 first ones or so, until we reach 32K,
but I don't see that as a big problem.)

What I'd be more worried is Layer 8 (and up) effects, crying about
unfairness of the world, pushing to extend the limits, etc.etc.