Re: comments on draft-py-multi6-gapi-00.txt

I'd like to expand on one particular point:

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> If we could pass a law that every local government in the world
> had to set up a monopoly IXP for its area, we might be able to
> obtain enough congruence between geography and topology. But I
> don't expect that any time soon.

.. IXP does not have to have a monopoly AFAICS, more specifics can be
advertised in every IXP.

What is more troublesome is that the IXP business model must be so that it
has upstream connectivity, and advertises the aggregate to the Internet.
And that the IXP has sufficient redundancy so people would not have to
work around its back..

"Neutral" IXP's without even AS numbers are not sufficient.  I'm not sure
how it is out there, but here in Finland that's the only model for IXP's.

The only way to make it "work" without IXP's would be building a billing
model like the telephone transit (AFAIK) for these PI aggregate
advertisements (paid by those who connect the organizations and have the
more specifics).. and we know how well billing models work in the
Internet.....