IPv6 message size with OpenBSD. Is it a must that IPv6 packet length will be a multiply of 8?

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss
  and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  if you wish to regularly
  post from an address that is not subscribed to this mailing list, send a
  message to <listname>-owner@ops.ietf.org and ask to have the alternate
  address added to the list of addresses from which submissions are
  automatically accepted. ]

Hi all, observing the code of OpenBSD and also trying it, I see that the
code takes care that the IPv6 packet length will be a multiplication of 8.
I read the IPv6 RFC 2460 and I didn't see ant restriction there that
suggests that the IPv6 packet length should be a multiplication of 8.
Does any of you have an idea why is that?
Can I safely send IPv6 packet with a length that is not a multiplication of
8 and make a better use of the MTU?

Example:: In a system where the MTU is 1500 the Ethernet packet sent in
OpenBSD systems are 1510 instead of 1514 thus a loss of additional 4 bytes
as a result.

Your help is appreciated,

Shuki Sasson
Principal Engineer, Network Storage Group
	EMC˛
where information lives

Phone: 508 305 8515
FaxNo: 508 435 8901