Re: GSE

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Francis Dupont wrote:

> => two-space systems are still raisonable long term solutions, especially
> HIP (Host Identity Payload Protocol) which doesn't share the security
> concern on the binding between the locator and the identity.
> (PS: and its overhead is not a problem for guys like me who'd like
> to hide everything behind ESP :-).

Is there a good write-up of HIP yet?

We should really watch the overhead, because most of the time it's
simply unnecessary. Want do do voice over IP with IPsec? If you don't do
the IPsec in the phone, you MUST use tunnel mode as per the RFC. But you
can't do routing over IPsec tunnels, so you need another GRE tunnel.
Then comes the ESP overhead, which is actually fairly small but they
chose to inlcude padding, which IMO was a mistake. Also, the
initialization vectors eat up a fair number of bytes, while it wouldn't
be very hard to come up with a scheme where the IV isn't carried inside
the packet. Then of course we encapsulate all of this in an ethernet
frame which wastes 64 bits on a preamble and 160 bits on an inter frame
gap, which are necessary to make the manchester encoding work. Since we
typically use ethernet with encodings that regulate this stuff at even
lower layers, most of these 20 bytes are wasted for no reason.

So in order to carry a 64 kbps voice stream in more or less 64 kbps and
have a reasonable delay, we need to compress the actual payload by a
factor 4 to make room for the overhead, which is then 78%. About half of
this could be removed without any impact to functionality.

The problem with many headers is that they implement too much. Ideally,
each function would have its own header so you only need to include the
headers you're actually going to use. (IPv6 options have the right
idea.) But of course that leads to header recognition overhead, where
each header needs a header...