Re: Identification

On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 12:55  AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
Even assuming they come out of the factory with unique addresses
(I've heard stories from people getting 5 cards all with the same
address) how long is this going to stay unique after my little brother
types "man ifconfig"?

Sure, it's possible to repair all these problems, but why exactly were
we doing this in the first place again...? Hardware addresses make bad
identifiers. Just give me 64 bytes of NVRAM so I can burn in the
identifier of my choice.
And how will you be assuring that 64 bytes is globally unique?

Rgds,
-drc