Re: Identifier/locator recap

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> 	Middleboxes break the end-to-end principle and are generally not
> desirable architecturally.

> 	Since we have at least one architectural approach (i.e.
> identifier/locator separation) that does not need/use any
> middleboxes, please let us all agree
> that middlebox approaches are not desirable here -- and not discuss them
> at any further length in this WG.

I agree middleboxes aren't desirable. On the other hand, I doubt very
many people will applaud a clean architecture if that means they have to
upgrade large numbers of individual hosts rather than a few middleboxes.
And it's not just deployment; implementing policies on individual hosts
is much harder than doing it on middleboxes or border routers.

Iljitsch