RE: Architectural approaches to multi6

Iljitsch,

This is not math but CS :)

You probably refer to some place in the overview
where generic graphs are discussed. Sure, routing
on special types of graphs can be much more compact.
For example, it's O(1) for rings. For trees, the best
known result requires only ~O(log(N)) bits of memory
to store node IDs, and nothing else, -- based only
on its node ID plus source and destination node IDs,
the node can make its routing decisions in constant
time.

All known constructions with multiple levels of
abstraction are inferior to more recent findings.
In addition, you cannot seriously speak about
"locality" on the Internet inter-domain graph
since there are very few "remote" vertices --
the average AS path length is between 3 and 4
with a very narrow width of the distance
distribution.

The main problem with applicability of those
generic results to the Internet is that they are
too generic. The Internet is not a ring or a tree,
of course, but it has its specific topology, which
is scale-free (power-law) and for which exact
bounds are not known yet (at least to me).
--
dima.