Re: geo short vs long term? [Re: Geo pros and cons]

On woensdag, apr 16, 2003, at 06:08 Europe/Amsterdam, Sean Doran wrote:

The idea behind geographic addressing is not that the topology and addressing become interchangable. The simple fact that a multihomer connects to the net in two places makes this impossible by >> definition.

No, this is not true, unless you insist a multihomer only ever uses one address
to fit a constrained L2 topology.
You really have been in hibernation, haven't you?

Constrained L4 architecture, anyone? Multiaddressing needs a huge amount of work before it can catch up with the level of functionality provided by today's routing-based approaches. That's why we're still discussing the routing stuff, even though we know it has inherent scalability problems.

The point is that it becomes possible to draw lines on the map in such a way that aggregating routing information that crosses these lines gets rid of enough routing information that the savings in routing table size are worth the effort.
[...]

Maybe the savings aren't that big.

The savings are enormous. Aggregating the entire western hemisphere behind
a single prefix would be wonderful. (I propose using existing Sprint address space.)
Ok, here you cross the line between being purposefully ignorant and being offensive. I think your comments here disqualify you as chair of this wg, and I am asking you here and now to step back and let someone else, who can take all of this seriously, take over.

However you are overlooking the fact that there are costs too (on top of the
monopoly rent I will gladly extract from hundreds of millions of people like you, who will deliver all your North American traffic only to me).
Ha ha. Is this the way the IETF is supposed to work? People volunteer many hours of work only to be mocked? Didn't you even read the *title* of my draft?

"Provider-_I_n_t_e_r_n_a_l_ Aggregation based on Geography
to Support Multihoming in IPv6"

Massive spending on local redundancy and resiliency is the correct answer.
The industry's approach -- connecting to more than one provider -- is fundamentally a bad idea.
So you agree you have no business chairing a _multihoming_ in IPv6 wg?

Two final quotes for those of you still reading:

My approach is even easier. "No, you can't have an address, unless you get it from Sprint".

Try working on SAPI: "Sean-Assigned Public Internet addresses". That'd be much cooler.
Iljitsch van Beijnum