Re: old GSE idea

On donderdag, apr 17, 2003, at 21:29 Europe/Amsterdam, Sean Doran wrote:

It would be interesting to see if we could be more ambitious and
try to deal with movement/multihoming of things with finer granularity.

The multiported host model is amenable to virtualization, but do we
want to/can we have an identifier bound to a particular *service*
that may migrate around a network independently of other services
which are, at any given moment, sharing a host (virtual or real) with it?
Of course we want this. Why is it that when I email someone sitting in the same room at (for instance) an IETF meeting, the message has to travel halfway across the globe? I want my mail service to be as close to me as possible. Sometimes that means that it has to run back home because I'm not connected, but at other times the service should run on my laptop.

Can we/do we want to aggregate several services (or clients thereof)
and have that aggregate be mobile/multihomed?
Do we need to aggregate services?

I'm thinking more the other way around: each service should live on its own address(es).

That is, (assuming process migration is feasible) can I move my
voice over ip service, AIM,  ssh sessions, X server, and so forth
from one part of the network to another without moving the host
these are sharing with an IMAP service, ntpd, and so on?
Obviously you can reroute your voice calls or instant messaging to another box. But SSH sessions...? I guess this is what happens when I disconnect and log in again from another box and reconnect to my screen session. Doing this at the network level means that TCP sessions are no longer tied to a host, but to a person. Unfortunately, people are a bad platform for implementing network protocols.

Most of these questions go to the semantics of the lower-order bits,
how they bind with one or more sets of higher-order bits, and how
they are acquired initially.
I think the question of the bits will be solved soon enough once we get the right design team together. The question of the acquiring is more fundamental. How do you find something hidden behind an arbitrary topology, without depending on a central directory or on the help of strangers?

We could start by evaluating which part of the information should be pushed out and which part should be pulled in, and which part is static enough to be cached for a considerable amount of time and which part must be refreshed pretty much before every use.