updating GSE for the new millennium

We've been talking about GSE earlier this month before we got side-tracked. I think it's time to see what a descendent of the GSE family would look like in the third millennium, so I want to write a draft. Hopefully this will give us something useful to talk about in Vienna.

What I'd like to do is take input from everyone and incorporate this as much as possible in this draft. That probably means more options and more complexity that we'd like to see in an actual protocol, but for now that's fine: we can always prune later.

If there is reasonable consensus on something, I'll use it. If there are several ways to do something that aren't mutually exclusive, I'll use all of them. If there is no feedback, I'll use my own judgement...

The first order of business is the address rewriting. It seems to me that the different options here (GSE-like one-way rewriting upper bits with globally unique lower bits, MHAP double rewriting) can be accommodated by doing the following:

When transmitting, for both the source and destination address: take a globally unique N bit label and map to one of several possible IPv6 address suitable for routing associated with this label. When receiving, map the addresses back to labels.

For the source when transmitting or the destination when receiving, the rewriter can presumably easily find the additional information needed to compelete the mapping in its configuration, but for the destination when transmitting or the source when receiving it must first discover the mapping.

Is this workable?

Two additional questions:

- Is adding options or tunnel headers an option, or would this make this scheme too unattractive over IPv4-style multihoming?

- Can packets only be rewritten once, or can this happen several times?