Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir

On vrijdag, mei 2, 2003, at 22:08 Europe/Amsterdam, Christian Huitema wrote:

Frankly, I don't believe that there is all that much value in the
so-called "GSE++" model. I see many shortfalls:

1) Rewriting addresses in the site exit routers deprives smart hosts
from the capacity to select their preferred return path;
If I get to multihome but I don't get much say in my return path that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. However, this is a valid concern so we should see if we can do something about this.

2) There is a lot of ambiguity as to whether the proposed identifiers
relate to an interface, a host or a session, and these choices lead to
extremely different trade-offs;
Can you elaborate? I'd prefer the network to be agnostic about the meaning of identifiers, this is something the hosts can work out for themselves.

3) We know from previous discussion that 64 bits is too short for a
randomly assigned global space;
That's why we have the ++ part in GSE++. :-) I want to make this such that the identifier can be a full 128 bit IPv6 address if desired.

4) It is kind of too late to rewrite the TCP implementations that are
already out there.
That's why we want proxy multihoming agents that can handle all the multihoming processing so there is no need to upgrade existing v6 implementations immediately.

In fact, if we really want to go towards this independent identifier
path, I believe we should make it a session identifier, used by some
form of TCP++. Using it for routing does not appear all that practical.
If we get the GSE++ right, it should provide much of the groundwork for upgrading TCP. What do you mean by a "session identifier"?