Re: GSE IDs [Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir]

On donderdag, mei 8, 2003, at 17:44 Europe/Amsterdam, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Wouldn't such an additional layer always carry even more state with it?
The only advantage is that this kind of state is kept in the endpoints.
However, then we end up with the requirement that endpoints must
implement the solution, which leads to deployment problems and
management difficulties in some networks.

Right, except that we have to solve key management anyway, to make any
kind of security scale. Which as we know is hardly trivial.
What I was talking about wasn't key management, but the problem that if each individual host makes its own decisions it's hard to implement traffic engineering and other policies. Rewriting the source address helps some here as this makes return traffic take a certain path, but the problem remains for destination address selection.

Deployment is problematic because GSE hosts will have to communicate with non-GSE hosts, in which case the border routers must leave the source address alone. Source rewriting is really only an optimization: with some extra effort, the source host can find out which source address it should use. It's starting to look like this optimization is more expensive than simply doing it the hard way and let the host figure out the source address it has to use by trial and error (for "GSE"-enabled sessions), possibly aided by ICMP messages.

I think that is what you should say.

I'm getting there... It's still more than a month before the draft
cutoff for Vienna.  :-)

Lots of time to solve a problem that was discovered around 1992 :-)
I'm flattered that you assume my draft will be the one to solve this problem. (-:

Iljitsch