Re: GSE IDs [Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir]

On vrijdag, mei 9, 2003, at 14:05 Europe/Amsterdam, Bound, Jim wrote:

By storing the end nodes in a routing header all other location can
change enroute.
This is completely stateless.
Not really. Someone must know to put in the routing header at some point.

And this doesn't provide the functionality we need. Assume ISP A can reach destination X but ISP B can't. In this case, the source must transmit the packet over A. Transmitting it over B isn't going to yield useful results, regardless of the presence of routing headers.

Also, we can't assume that users will universally prefer a stateless solution with per-packet overhead over a stateful one that doesn't have extra overhead.

I think state in the endpoints is perfectly acceptable. If people want central control over their multihoming and/or they want to multihome-enable unmodified hosts by implementing the multihoming functionality in a middlebox, having state in this middlebox would also be acceptable, especially if it's "soft state" that can be recreated without breaking sessions if the middlebox fails. NAT shows that it is possible to build middleboxes that keep lots of state.