Re: GSE IDs [Re: IETF multihoming powder: just add IPv6 and stir]

On dinsdag, mei 13, 2003, at 13:40 Europe/Amsterdam, marcelo bagnulo wrote:

But I think we should revisit this when there is an actual proposal
that adds extra headers to packets because only then we'll be able to
see how this helps us and how it hurts us.

Well, using MIPv6 could be one of such proposals (there are some issues
to solve) but still can be useful to quantify the amount of overhead
involved.
Mobile IP in IPv6 uses a 24 byte header to carry the original source address, right?

If we assume ethernet with a 1500 byte MTU and include the ethernet encapsulation (MAC addresses, ethertype and frame check sequence) but not the lower layer stuff (this is a good compromise between looking only at IP, which is slightly worse or also including the extra framing bits/gap, which is another 20 bytes per packet) and assume full sized packets we arrive at:

IPv4 IPv6 MIPv6
Data 1460 1440 1416
Overhead 58 78 112
Efficiency1 96.2% 94.9% 93.3%
Efficiency2 94.4% 92.5% 90.3%

In the efficiency1 figure we drop 2.9% when moving from IPv4 to MIPv6 but this figure doesn't include the TCP ACKs that nearly double in size. For a full duplex link this adds up to another 3% in overhead while this is only 1.8% for IPv4 so the overall drop in efficiency is 4.1%.

Now if you're going to do high speed data transfers you'll obviously want to enable the RFC 1323 high performance extensions which means another 12 bytes per packet are used for timestamp landing you at 89.1% efficiency (93.2% in IPv4). And then there is IPsec...

In the real world all of this is a lot worse because the average packet size is significantly smaller than the maximum possible packet size.

Now all of this may not seem like a huge deal but what if the bank decides they want to take 4% of the money in your account, or look at the trouble people go through to lose 4% of their weight. For some people this may be a reason to stick with IPv4. On the other hand, if we can keep it at 4% it might be ok. But if the application protocols (which usually have HUGE overhead) and all the lower layers add 4% too then it's no fun anymore.