Re: tunneling [Was: Agenda for Vienna]

On woensdag, mei 21, 2003, at 04:08 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony Li wrote:

|    I don't think we can make informed decisions about the
|    architectural
|    approach unless we know how well each approach is going to
|    work out. That's why I keep going into detail.

This is a common trap.
So then there must be a reason why it's hard to avoid it.  :-)

Some detail causes someone else to go into
further detail and then we end up arguing about the details.  Bzzt.

We need to understand at the very top level how things are going
to work.  Then we flesh out details.  If things aren't going to
work at the top level, then the details are a waste of time.
Didn't we kinda sorta agree that loc/id is our collective favorite architecture and that the rest is either flawed, should be worked on elsewhere or no interest in working on it as a group?

Even though we get a bit sidetracked from time to time, I think we're having a very useful discussion on the identifier semantics and mapping mechanisms right now.