Re: loc/id vs HIP (was: tunneling [Was: Agenda for Vienna])

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On a related note, I've been thinking about ways to do something about
> all this outrageous overhead but being able to have some per-packet
> additional info at the same time. It occurs to me that much of the
> stuff we're thinking about putting in each packet really doesn't have
> to be in _each_ packet. Having identifiers and such in every 32th
> packet or once every 5 seconds or so should be more than enough.

We can just use fairly standard approaches to smart compression. If the
same bit pattern appears in the same place in every packet of a flow,
it is well known how to save the bits. Probably, most of the hosts we
would care about will be using ROHC anyway.

   Brian