Re: proxy AH (was: An architectural draft)

Masataka,

On donderdag, mei 29, 2003, at 07:21 Europe/Amsterdam, Masataka Ohta wrote:

The source address is something I'd really like to check.

You don't.

If payload passes authentication check, the payload is considered
to be reliable regardless of the source address.
Re the spam discussion on the IETF list: I'd rather know I'm dealing with a "good" source rather than check the content of everything I receive.

When I get around to it, I plan to write a draft about how ISPs can do
proxy IPsec AH processing for their customers to eliminate denial of
service traffic.

It is an utter violation of the end to end principle and assured
not to scale, which, for example, means poor performance.
Writeups of e2e that I've seen explicitly state that something that should be done end-to-end MAY also be done in the network as an optimization. As long as it's an optimization and not shifting of responsibility it's ok.

I don't see why this shouldn't scale: 10 times more traffic means 10 times more crypto chips. O(n) scaling isn't that bad.

In this case, a proxy box of an ISP is an easy victim of the DoS
attack.
Good luck DoSing a box that can do crypto at line rate. :-)

Obviously DoSers can raise the stakes by trying to DoS (some part of) the ISP rather than the customer, but I'm not worried about that. ISPs typically have bandwidth in the order of gigabits, while customers may only have a few megabits. Flooding a 10 Mbps pipe is trivial, and done so often stopping it is a problem. Flooding a few 1 Gbps pipes is hard and should show up on the radar screens of even the most uncooperative source networks so stopping this is much, much easier.

That's why we do AH first and reject the packet if it doesn't check
out. Applications are not involved in IPsec, that's the whole point.
Otherwise you could just as well use TLS.

I'm afraid you are assuming authentication check by ESP is much
slower than that by AH.
No. What I'm saying is that porting all your applications to support SSL is much slower than porting your OS to support IPsec.