Re: draft-ietf-multi6-multihoming-requirements-06.txt

On woensdag, jun 11, 2003, at 21:53 Europe/Amsterdam, Randy Bush wrote:

Let's see: load balancing is not a realistic requirement.  For the
architecture to be automatic, we have to be dynamic and we've
proven that we don't know how to do that yet.  Even to give people
some tools seems to lead to abuse.  Who controls the balancing?
The source?  The destination?  Don't say 'both'.  No packet can
serve two masters.
No load balancing whatsoever means having a primary connection and a backup. For most multihomers paying for bandwidth you only get to use less than 1% of the time is a non-starter.

Performance.  Exact same arguments since the only way to affect
performance is to load balance.
Having a fast link, adding a slow one and having performance limited by the slow one is again unaccaptable.

And it's not like providing some basic load balancing is a huge deal. A simple preference value for each of multiple AAAA records or some such would go a long way.

The real requirements are:

	- Provide multihoming
	- Provide scalable routing
	- Transport survivability
The real real requirement is: it must be good enough that people will want to trade in their IPv4 provider independent address space for this. If it isn't, either they'll stay in IPv4 or they'll take the IPv4 multihoming mess with them during the transition to IPv6.