Re: DNS based Destination Selection

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, David Gethings wrote:
> I understand that DNS based solutions to the IPv6 multihomed problem
> have been suggested before. However I believe my suggestion is a
> different variant to previous suggestions.
>
> Below is an overview of my suggestion. I believe it has merit and would
> like the groups view.

My quick reactions:
   o  DNS is too high a level for (srcaddr,dstaddr) selection;
      not everything goes by name
   o  DNS changes are difficult->impossible to get deployed globally
   o  for some cases, relying on remotely-maintained DNS information is not
      sufficient or desirable
   o  you cover dstaddr selection; what about srcaddr selection?

Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: jay-ford@uiowa.edu, phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-2951