Source addresses and multicast (was Re: Fwd: Minutes / Notes)

Erik,

Erik Nordmark wrote:
For the source part (locator vs. id) we need to understand how multicast
routing would work. Today it applies RPF to the source address and uses the
hierarchical structure of the source address to aggregate the information used
by the RPF. If the source identifiers are not aggregatable this will be an
issue.
I have to admit my ignorance here.  Any pointers that would allow
me to better understand what you say above?  Especially, I don't
understand if the "source" address you talk about is the source
address in a packet, or the addresses (locators) of the members
of a multicast group.

--Pekka Nikander