RE: Fwd: Minutes / Notes

> Actually, this leads me to think. If interoperation with unmodified
hosts
> is
> important, then all this discussion about alternative namespaces to
> identify
> endpoints is moot. At that point, there are precisely two mechanisms
> available:
>
> i) Use multiple addresses, and if the link whose address you're using
for
> the
> connction fails, the connection fails.
>
> i) Wse multiple addresses, and if the link whose address you're using
for
> the
> connction fails, use MIPv6 mechanisms to divert it to a backup
address.

iii) Use multiple addresses, one of which is a "virtual address" that is
guaranteed to be reachable all the time, albeit slowly. Use the virtual
address to start connections. Use MIPv6 mechanisms to divert to an
actual address.

I mean, it is possible to design virtual networks using for example the
distributed hash table technology. Or using a satellite network. Or a
really big server with lots of redundancy.

-- Christian Huitema