Re: distributed hash tables

On vrijdag, jul 25, 2003, at 12:01 Europe/Amsterdam, Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student) wrote:

If you can distribute your information over a set of reliable and
trustworthy nodes, this could work very well. However, we can't assume
any one node to be reliable, so we need to build in a good deal of
redundancy and dynamic replication.

Yes. This is a problem with classic design of DHT. But, recently
there are lot of DHT proposals in a byzantine environment (viceroy
etc..)
Hm, not easy to find anything on this but I can't think of any way to do better than have statistical assurances (i.e., 10 servers say it doesn't exist so it probably doesn't).

Also, wouldn't the huge number of identifiers (order of a hundred million *today*) be a problem? Any given server would have to fit into the key space in very many places.