Re: Identification, layering, transactions and universal connectivity

On zaterdag, aug 2, 2003, at 11:26 Europe/Amsterdam, Tony Li wrote:

Well, you're already into developing a global policy language
for locators.  Seems expensive.
I believe that not having it will be more expensive in the long run.

If we don't proscribe or prescribe, then this is just left as an
implementation detail.
Ok.

|    ???

Restated: if we don't have to distribute more/new/timely information
to support 'intelligent' locator selection, then we don't have to
make modifications to the routing subsystem and can defer all of
the 'magic'.  This makes migration easier as even the simplest of
algorithms can be used initially to select locators and can then
become more sophisticated as time progresses.

Put yet another way: let's remove the complexity of locator selection.
If simplistic turns out to be insufficient, then let's at least take
out fancy information distribution and be a bit nearer perfection.
I don't think that's good enough. Today having multiple addresses from different ISPs doesn't work if the ISP does ingress filtering. To solve this, we need to be able to change addresses for existing sessions, and we need to figure out the right source address reasonably fast. But we also need to figure out the right destination address pretty quickly or publishing addresses that may not be reachable (for everyone) becomes too expensive. This is an integral part of the multihoming package so we must deliver on it.