Re: Consensus on identifier/locator split?

On donderdag, aug 7, 2003, at 06:14 Europe/Amsterdam, Christian Huitema wrote:

create an identifier inside TCP, and then associate several addresses/locators to the connection. I actually like the fact that TCP can see and manage "locators", because the transport is one of the best places to maintain short term knowledge about the relative performance of a specific path, and thus arbitrage between the various paths.
Yes, this way I want it to happen too, for the cases where the transport is TCP.

I believe that the current approach by the design team is compatible with this goal.

Indeed, this is a generic requirement for any identifier scheme: hosts that don't see the point should be able to opt-out and not bear the burden associated with the "layer of indirection."
Obviously any and all mechanisms we come up with are going to be optional.

The problem is that the usefulness of these mechanisms is probably something that differs more from application to application rather than from host to host and we must be able to make existing applications support it.