Re: Multiple Address Service for Transport (MAST)

Spencer,

(Discussing TCP vs. wedge approaches)

g) a wedge implementation will have interesting interplay
   with transport layer RTT and throughput estimates.
   OTOH, that information is actually more host-to-host (or path
   related) in nature than connection related.

You'd think so, but I sure haven't heard of a lot of people doing ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2140.txt in production TCPs...

I haven't really checked the BSD stack code recently, but it does keep the RTT and throughput estimates in routing table entries and not in tcb entries. In fact, it has a cloned routing table entry for each active host, and that entry carries the RTT and throughput estimates over consequent TCP connections.

I would need to study to source code more closely to be able
to say anything more.

Maybe the wedge approach would provide an incentive here?

Maybe.

--Pekka Nikander