Re: Security requirements for identification

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 00:31, Erik Nordmark wrote:
> > As you mention, there are multiple times that i don't really need to know
> > the identifier of the end-point that i want to communicate to, but what i
> > want is the identifier of the service that i want to contact (is this
> > what you meant?)
>
> Yep.

Hello,

I'm trying to follow this thread, which seems very interesting, but I'm
surprised with this statement. IMO when you make a DNS query
you want to get the identifier of the end-point, to be able to start
the communication. Although it's true that the name usually
gives hints about the service, this isn't always true. If you
need "www.google.com", you already know that the service will
be "HTTP". You don't ask the DNS for the service, what you really
need to know is the address of "google" to start the HTTP transfer.

Don't you agree with this ?

Cheers.

--
JFRH