Re: RIR bashing, was: Routing table size?

On zondag, okt 12, 2003, at 16:10 Europe/Amsterdam, Jeroen Massar wrote:

Signature still doesn't work...

http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/tla/all/ shows amongst others:

2001:d70::/30   NTTWEST-IPv6-JPNIC-JP-20030912
2001:1600::/31  NL-LIBERTEL-20030902

So getting them is certainly possible.

Ok, that's good. In IPv4 people received /16s in the past but these days I see huge numbers of consecutive /20s in the global routing table. In this case the RIRs did at least _something_ right but unfortunately it got lost in the translation somewhere. This may be because the RIRs give out consecutive /20s one at a time rather than a /16 at once, but the network in question doesn't want to install new aggregates remove existing more specifics because (as everyone who has been in IPv6 operations the past years knows) this leads to a fairly long period (minutes) of instability.

If you want to be 'visible' with a smaller block you are an
enduser

Or a root nameserver...

and at the moment you are out of luck. But then again
I don't know any enduser type people having the connectivity
nor the need for their own routing. That's why I pay my upstreams
so they can handle all that stuff for me and I can sleep fine :)

Ok then we can terminate this working group.

Actually you do know such an enduser: me. I have two lines coming into my home and I run IPv6 over both of them. In fact the server that is colocated with one ISP is reachable (over IPv6) through the other ISP, my home network and the link to the colo ISP. (Do some traces for www.bgpexpert.com.)