Re: survivability, rewriting

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> I agree with this, and I'd add that many applications can survive much
> longer glitches than 5 seconds, and even TCP resets, by putting some fairly
> trivial retry logic in the right place. [...]

(I'm pretty sure you agree here, but playing the devil's advocate to bring
up an important point here..)

Is it the business of the applications to put in this retry logic?

No.

If *every* application has to do this, we've failed.  If such adding such
logic is deemed the best approach, it needs to be put somewhere else.