RE: survivability, rewriting

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 14:38, marcelo bagnulo wrote:
> IVB> I do agree that source address based routing (which is in effect a
> IVB> limited form of source routing) doesn't mesh well with our hop by hop
> IVB> forwarding paradigm, but again: I don't see any alternatives.
>
> An obvious comment about source address based routing is that source address
> based routing only has to be implemented within the multihomed site.

Note that source address based routing also provides these advantages :
- since the path (and the ISP) taken by an outgoing packet is determined
  by its source address, a host can easily select its preferred path by
  simply choosing the corresponding source address.
  We can thus imagine a p2p application that could explicitly
  load-balance its traffic on all its available paths. This is
  an interesting feature (I think).
- routing inside the multihomed site can be simpler since it doesn't
  longer depends on the destination address but only on the few
  site prefixes delegated to the site.
- More importantly : source address based routing enables better
  failure detection and recovery that the use of bgp since all this
  stuff can be performed end-to-end (I agree with Marcelo)

Cedric