Re: Some Comments on ID/Loc Separation Proposals

>> >            The label is used
>> >            simply for distinguishing one endpoint from another.
>> >            Because a locator is usually globally unique, it might be
>> >            able to serve as an identifier. However this use will often
>> >            suffer administrative and referential limitations as a
>> >            global identifier for mobile endpoints. This is exemplified
>> >            by the current problems experienced with the dual role of
>> >            IP Addresses.
>>
>> This is too much text and largely not relevant for defining
>> "identifier". The only additional remark that's necessary is that an
>> identifier is independent of an endpoint's attachment to the network
>> ("location").

mb> I guess that this is not what Dave is trying to say...
mb> the locator can be used as an identifier, since it is unique, but its usage
mb> as an identifier presents some limitations

correct.

The first sentence is the definition. The second sentence notes a type
of string that can be used. The rest notes known problems with the
string.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>