RE: [OPS-DIR] [PEPPERMINT] potenntial charter for PEPPERMINT

Hi,

A Google search shows NETCFG to be an open-source GUI-based
application for configuring networks. I would be very concerned if the
charter calls for a solution "biased" toward a vendor-specific
offering, even if the vendor uses open-source and the MIT license,
since we are supposed to develop vendor-neutral standards, and biased
!= neutral.

If the intention was to reference NETCONF, then I have a concern that
the expressed bias is to favor a non-mandatory-to-implement
"transport" for NETCONF. I agree that the line expressing a bias for
certain solutions should be removed.

I would not object to a line expressing a constraint for solutions
that leverage existing IETF standards for certain aspects, such as
security. But I'm not sure I know what is to be delivered well enough
to know how existing standards could be leveraged.

Overall, I find the charter wording to be too ambiguous to adequately
describe the scope of the work to be done. "find a provisioning
solution for interconnection" does not seem sufficiently focused to
identify the expected deliverables. Is this WG chartered to produce a
protocol, some data models, functionality to manage caches? I'm just
not really sure what is being proposed as deliverables, and would be
hard pressed to know when the WG drifted off-topic or completed their
work.

I think the charter wording and scope needs to be tightened
significantly to make this engineering-ready.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net
ietfdbh@comcast.net
dharrington@huawei.com