RE: Scope of NIM

There are two related, but distinct dimensions of "scope"
that have tended to get run together in these NIM discussions:

1. Data modeling / data representation:  MIBs, PIBs, CORBA,
   LDAP, GDMO, etc.
2. Domain being modeled:  Diffserv, Intserv, IPsec, storage,
   telephony, etc.

I think that most of the early discussions of "scope" were
centered on (2) - for example, Andrea's questions about the
scope of what NIM would be modeling.  This is also what
people meant when they talked about helping different WGs
model common elements in a common way.  (It's clear that
this is what they meant because they contrasted this goal
with what happened with SNMP:  many WGs, all using SMI as
their data representation, came up with divergent ways of
modeling the same things.)

Recently, though, much of the discussion has shifted
to (1), where "scope" now means which data modeling
technologies will be unified by NIM.  We haven't left
(2) behind entirely, though, because as several people
(starting with Randy Bush) have observed, what we model
is not independent of the technology we use for modeling
it.

I think that (1) and (2) are both legitimate scoping
questions, which need to be discussed.  We should be
clear, though, which one we're discussing at any point.

On a related note, I was surprised when Walter said:

   At the last IETF, there was a strong desire to
   see SMI and SPPI converge. If this happens, we
   still have to question where the  data
   structures are developed that can be used
   commonly across both COPS and SNMP.

I think the question of where the common MIB / PIB
data structures would get defined is one of the few
easy questions in this whole discussion.  Given the
(relatively) long-standing practice of having MIBs
defined in the subject-matter WGs, and the more recent
practice of handling PIB definitions in the same way,
it's obvious where the common MIB / PIB structures
would be defined:  in the subject-matter WGs.  The
question becomes hard only if we slide over from
(1) (convergence of MIBs & PIBs for a given domain)
into (2) (convergence of MIB / PIB definitions
across multiple domains).

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore