Re: Scope of NIM

> > Therefore, I suggest that in the aftermath of the NIM BOF, the topic
> > which this mailing-list has to consider is what to do about an
> > Information Model.
>
> If the objective is to create an information model based on the superset of
> SMI (SPPI) or SMIng, I would agree with you.

Your "if statement" makes no sense to me, since the oft-repeated
definition of "information model" says that it is independent of the
data models like SMI/SPPI/SMIng.

> However, it is not clear yet
> whether people want to do a full OO information model based on some new or
> existing language (for example UML/MOF), or whether they want to develop an
> information model based on some SMI derivative.

Again, how can something be an "information model" if it's based on some
SMI derivative" ??

> While the BOF discussions
> seemed to favor the latter, the list discussions seem far more evenly split.

As I recall, the favouring of the latter was more to do with scepticism
of the former being achievable, rather than an attraction for the latter.

Keith.