Re: WG Last Call: a batch of draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-*01 documents

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Feedback & Review is sought.  Please take a look at the ops IPv4 survey
> document:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-01.txt
>
> It's very very short; please send feedback.  In particular, it would be
> good to identify specifications which have incorrect information, or
> specifications which are not longer relevant and could be moved to
> historic (if someone bothered to do that, but that's a different topic),
> or the like.

I'm aware that the WG last call deadline was August 12th and that
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-02.txt
has now replaced the above-mentioned document.  However, in an
off-line e-mail exchange Pekka Savola encouraged me to send comments
even if they would be late, so I offer the following comments on the
-02 draft.

In general, this draft is on the right track, and the author/editor
deserve much thanks for all the work they put in to create the
document, but in my opinion there are quite a few minor issues that
need to be resolved before it is published.  Comments are inserted
in-line with the text of the draft, which is indicated by a vertical
bar in the left margin.  Proposed replacement text is has no
vertical bar but is always indented relative to the commentary.

| 2.0 Document Organization
|
| The document is organized as described below:
|
| Sections 3, 4, 5, and 6 each describe the raw analysis of Full, Draft,
| and Proposed Standards, and Experimental RFCs.  Each RFC is discussed in
| its turn starting with RFC 1 and ending with RFC 3247.  The comments for
| each RFC is "raw" in nature.  That is, each RFC is discussed in a
| vacuum  and problems or issues discussed do not "look ahead" to see if
| the  problems have already been fixed.
|
| Section 7 is an analysis of the data presented in Sections 3, 4, 5, and
| 6.  It is here that all of the results are considered as a whole and the
| problems that have been resolved in later RFCs are correlated.

There are some important technical specifications that do not fall
into any of these classifications.  For instance, RFC 1215, which is
part of the (obsolescent) SMIv1 specification, is an Informational
RFC.  And RFC 3584 (the coexistence document that replaces RFC 2576)
is a BCP.  I'm not aware of any other such specs, but some may
exist. Certainly it behooves us to include at least those two in the
survey. One possible way to handle RFC 1215 would be to include it
in Sections 3 and 7 along with its companion SMIv1 documents (RFCs
1155 and 1212). I'm not really sure what to do for RFC 3584; maybe a
separate section for BCPs would be appropriate.  One thing for sure,
it would not be a good idea to lump all non-standards-track stuff
(BCP + informational + experimental) together.

| 3.0 Full Standards
|
| Full Internet Standards (most commonly simply referred to as
| "Standards") are fully mature protocol specification that are widely
| implemented and used throughout the Internet.
|

| 3.1 RFC 1157 Simple Network Management Protocol
|
| Beginning in Section 3.2.6.3.2 atTable Object Type Names thru the rest
| of Section 3 there are numerous references to the use of IPv4 addresses
| as part of OIDs.
|
| Section 4.  Protocol Specification specifies the format of an SNMP
| packet which uses the overall format of:
|
| RFC1157-SNMP DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
|      IMPORTS
|        	  ObjectName, ObjectSyntax, NetworkAddress, IpAddress, TimeTicks
|                   FROM RFC1155-SMI;
|

| Section 4.1.3.1.  Example of Table Traversal has many uses of IPv4
| addresses in its example of table transversal.
|
| Section 5.  Definitions reiterates the use of IPv4 addresses.
|
|      RFC1157-SNMP DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
|
|       IMPORTS
|           ObjectName, ObjectSyntax, NetworkAddress, IpAddress, TimeTicks
|               FROM RFC1155-SMI;

As previously noted by Juergen Schoenwaelder, RFC 1157 is HISTORIC
(i.e., is no longer an Internet Standard) and should therefore be
excluded from the survey.

| 3.2 RFC 1155 Structure of Management Information
|
| Section 3.2.3.2.  IpAddress defines the following:
|
|    This application-wide type represents a 32-bit internet address.  It
|    is represented as an OCTET STRING of length 4, in network byte-order.
|
| There are several instances of the use of this definition in the rest of
| the document.

There should also be a subsection for RFC 1212, and perhaps also RFC
1215, since RFCs 1155 and 1212 form STD 16, and together with RFC
1215 define SMIv1.

| 3.3 RFC 1213 Management Information Base
|
| There are far too many instances of IPv4 addresses is this document
| to enumerate here.  Clearly the entire IP OID sub tree  is rife with
| IPv4 dependencies.  A new sub tree needs to be defined to deal with
| IPv6 addresses leaving the current sub tree intact for IPv4 address
| information.

The above paragraph contains the first of many instances where the
term "OID" is misused.  It is an abbreviation meaning "object
identifier," and is NOT the same thing as an object definition, a
textual convention, or any SMI construct other than an object
identifier.  I am sorry to be so picky but I find this abuse of
terminology really annoying, and I'll be asking that it be fixed
everywhere I see it below.  In addition, it is useful for the sake
of later analysis to identify the problems in this MIB module a
little more concretely.  Here is the proposed rewrite:

  There are far too many instances of IPv4 addresses is this document
  to enumerate here.  The particular object groups that are affected
  are the IP group, the ICMP group, the TCP group, the UDP group,
  and the EGP group.

| 3.4 RFC 1643 Definitions of Managed Objects for the Ethernet-like
| Interface Types
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

In the recent protocol action which elevated the following documents
to Proposed Standard:

o draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-v3-03.txt
o draft-ietf-hubmib-mau-mib-v3-04.txt
o draft-ietf-hubmib-wis-mib-07.txt

the IESG also approved the following as an informational RFC:

o draft-ietf-hubmib-1643-to-historic-01.txt

and reclassified RFC 1643 to HISTORIC as it recommends.  I therefore
suggest that RFC 1643 be dropped from this survey.

| 3.5 RFC 2578 Structure of Management Information Version 2 (SMIv2)
|
| Section 7.1.5.  IpAddress defines:

Rewrite the above sentence as:

  Section 7.1.5 defines the IpAddress data type:

|    The IpAddress type represents a 32-bit internet address.  It is
|    represented as an OCTET STRING of length 4, in network byte-order.
|
|    Note that the IpAddress type is a tagged type for historical reasons.
|    Network addresses should be represented using an invocation of the
|    TEXTUAL-CONVENTION macro.
|
| Note the deprecated status of this type; see RFC 3291 for details on
| TEXTUAL-CONVENTION macro.

Rewrite the last sentence as:

  Note the deprecated status of this type;  see RFC 3291 for details on
  the replacement TEXTUAL-CONVENTION definitions.

| 3.6 RFC 2579 Textual Conventions for SMIv2
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

There is no mention of RFC 2580 (which is also an OPS Area Internet
Standard).  I don't think there are any IPv4 dependencies in RFC 2580,
but it should be mentioned here for sake of completeness.

| 3.7 RFC 2819 Remote Network Monitoring Management Information Base
|      (RMON-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

RFCs 3411, 3412, 3413, 3414, and 3415 are also Internet Standards;
they replace RFCs 2571, 2572, 2573, 2574, and 2575.  Please move
the sections for those last five RFCs here and update the RFC numbers.

| 3.8 RFC 3416 Protocol Operations for Version 2 of the Simple Network
|      Management Protocol (SNMPv2) (OPS-MIB)

Remove "(OPS-MIB)" ... the mnemonic is misleading, as this document
does not contain a MIB module.  See also the note below.

| Section 4.2.2.1.  Example of Table Traversal and Section 4.2.3.1.
| Another Example of Table Traversal both use OID's from MIB2 whose
| data contains IPv4 addresses.  Other than their use in these example
| sections there are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

Please correct this usage error:  s/OID's/objects/

| 3.9 RFC 3417 Transport Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple Network
|      Management Protocol (SNMPv2) (TRANS-MIB)

NOTE:  I would like to suggest that it is more useful in the case
of standards that contain a single MIB module to use the MIB module
names instead of the sometimes strange and seldom-used mnemonics
that are listed in STD 1, Official Internet Protocol Standards.
I will be making this suggestion for each spec that contains a
single MIB module;  in the present case the change would be:

s/TRANS-MIB/SNMPv2-TM/

| Section 2 Definitions contains the following OID definition:

Please correct this usage error:  s/OID definition/definition/
(a TEXTUAL-CONVENTION is not an OID)/

|         SnmpUDPAddress ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
|             DISPLAY-HINT "1d.1d.1d.1d/2d"
|             STATUS       current
|             DESCRIPTION
|                     "Represents a UDP address:
|
|                         octets   contents        encoding
|                         1-4     IP-address      network-byte order
|                         5-6     UDP-port        network-byte order
|                     "
|            SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE (6))
|
| Section 8.1.  Usage Example also contains examples which use IPv4
| address, but it has no significance in the operation of the
| specification.

Wordsmith the last paragraph:

  Section 8.1, "Usage Example," also contains examples which uses IPv4
  addresse, but it has no significance in the operation of the
  specification.

| 3.10 RFC 3418 Management Information Base for Version 2 of the Simple
|      Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2) (SNMPv2-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 4.0 Draft Standards
|
| Draft Standards represent the penultimate standard level in the IETF.
| A protocol can only achieve draft standard when there are multiple,
| independent, interoperable implementations.  Draft Standards are usually
| quite mature and widely used.
|

| 4.01 RFC 1493 Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges (BRIDGE-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 4.02 RFC 1559 DECnet Phase IV MIB Extensions (DECNET-MIB)

s/DECNET-MIB/DECNET-PHIV-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 4.03 RFC 1657 Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fourth
| Version of the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP-4) using SMIv2 (BGP-4-MIB)

s/BGP-4-MIB/BGP4-MIB/

| The MIB defined in this RFC deals with objects in a BGP4 based routing
| system and therefore contain many objects that are limited by the
| IpAddress 32-bit value defined in MIB2.  Clearly the values of this MIB
| are limited to IPv4 addresses.  No update is needed, although a new MIB
| should be defined for BGP++ to allow management of IPv6 addresses and
| routes.
|

| 4.04 RFC 1658 Definitions of Managed Objects for Character Stream
| Devices using SMIv2
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 4.05 RFC 1659 Definitions of Managed Objects for RS-232-like Hardware
|      Devices using SMIv2
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 4.06 RFC 1660 Definitions of Managed Objects for Parallel-printer-like
|      Hardware Devices using SMIv2
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 4.07 RFC 1694 Definitions of Managed Objects for SMDS Interfaces using
|      SMIv2 (SIP-MIB)
|
| This MIB definition defines the following subtree:

s/MIB/MIB module/

> [...]
|           -- and gives information on the Group Addresses and ARP
|           -- Addresses used in the Logical IP subnetwork.
|           -- One SMDS address may be associated with multiple IP
|           -- addresses.  One SNI may be associated with multiple LISs.
|
|           ipOverSMDSTable OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX      SEQUENCE OF IpOverSMDSEntry
|               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
|               STATUS      current
|               DESCRIPTION
|                  "The table of addressing information relevant to
|                  this entity's IP addresses."
|               ::= { ipOverSMDS 1 }
|
|           ipOverSMDSEntry OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX      IpOverSMDSEntry
|               MAX-ACCESS  not-accessible
|               STATUS      current
|               DESCRIPTION
|                  "The addressing information for one of this
|                  entity's IP addresses."
|               INDEX   { ipOverSMDSIndex, ipOverSMDSAddress }
|               ::= { ipOverSMDSTable 1 }
|
|           IpOverSMDSEntry ::=
|               SEQUENCE {
|                  ipOverSMDSIndex       IfIndex,
|                  ipOverSMDSAddress     IpAddress,
|                  ipOverSMDSHA          SMDSAddress,
|                  ipOverSMDSLISGA       SMDSAddress,
|                  ipOverSMDSARPReq      SMDSAddress
|                  }
|
|           ipOverSMDSIndex OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX      IfIndex
|               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
|               STATUS      current
|               DESCRIPTION
|                  "The value of this object identifies the
|                  interface for which this entry contains management
|                  information. "
|               ::= { ipOverSMDSEntry 1 }
|
|           ipOverSMDSAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|                SYNTAX      IpAddress
|                MAX-ACCESS  read-only
|                STATUS      current
|                DESCRIPTION
|                  "The IP address to which this entry's addressing
|                  information pertains."
|               ::= { ipOverSMDSEntry 2 }
|
|           ipOverSMDSHA OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX      SMDSAddress
|               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
|               STATUS      current
|               DESCRIPTION
|                  "The SMDS Individual address of the IP station."
|               ::= { ipOverSMDSEntry 3 }
|
|           ipOverSMDSLISGA OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX      SMDSAddress
|               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
|               STATUS      current
|               DESCRIPTION
|                  "The SMDS Group Address that has been configured
|                  to identify the SMDS Subscriber-Network Interfaces
|                  (SNIs) of all members of the Logical IP Subnetwork
|                  (LIS) connected to the network supporting SMDS."
|               ::= { ipOverSMDSEntry 4 }
|
|           ipOverSMDSARPReq OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX      SMDSAddress
|               MAX-ACCESS  read-only
|               STATUS      current
|               DESCRIPTION
|                  "The SMDS address (individual or group) to which
|                  ARP Requests are to be sent."
|               ::= { ipOverSMDSEntry 5 }
|

| Although these OIDs are intended for IPv4 addresses, a similar MIB

s/these OIDs/these object definitions/

| 4.08 RFC 1724 RIP Version 2 MIB Extension (RIP2-MIB)

s/RIP2-MIB/RIPv2-MIB/

| As might be expected, this RFC is filled with IPv4 dependencies since
| it defines a MIB for an IPv4 only routing protocol.  A new MIB for RIPng
| is required.

s/a MIB/a MIB module/
s/IPv4 only/IPv4-only/

| 4.09 RFC 1748 IEEE 802.5 MIB using SMIv2 (802.5-MIB)

s/802.5-MIB/TOKENRING-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 4.10 RFC 1850 OSPF Version 2 Management Information Base (OSPF-MIB)
|
| This MIB defines managed objects for OSPFv2 which is a protocol used
| to exchange IPv4 routing information.  Since OSPFv2 is limited to IPv4
| addresses a new MIB is required to support a new version of OSPF that
| is IPv6 aware.
|

| 4.11 RFC 2115 Management Information Base for Frame Relay DTEs
|      Using SMIv2 (FRAME-MIB)

s/FRAME-MIB/FRAME-RELAY-DTE-MIB/

| This MIB has several examples of mapping IPv4 addresses to multiple
| Frame Relay DLCI's and monitoring their connections.  A new set of OID's
| needs to be defined to allow this functionality for IPv6.

The last sentence is incorrect:  there are NO IPv4 dependencies in the
actual MIB objects, only in some explanatory text describing how
table entries in the MIB module might relate to entries in MIB-II's
ipAddrTable.  This relationship is expressed by ifIndex values, not by
IP address values.  Ergo, rewrite:

  This specification has several examples of how IPv4 addresses might be
  mapped to Frame Relay DLCIs.  Other than those examples there are no
  IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

| 4.12 RFC 2571 An Architecture for Describing SNMP Management Frameworks
|      (ARCH-SNMP)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

This document has been replaced by RFC 3411, which is an Internet
Standard (see note above), so this sub-section needs to be retitled
and moved into Section 3.

| 4.13 RFC 2572 Message Processing and Dispatching for the Simple Network
|      Management Protocol (SNMP) (MPD-SNMP)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

This document has been replaced by RFC 3412, which is an Internet
Standard (see note above), so this sub-section needs to be retitled
and moved into Section 3.

| 4.14 RFC 2573 SNMP Applications (SNMP-APP)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

This document has been replaced by RFC 3413, which is an Internet
Standard (see note above), so this sub-section needs to be retitled
and moved into Section 3.

| 4.15 RFC 2574 User-based Security Model (USM) for version 3 of the
| Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3) (USM-SNMPV3)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

This document has been replaced by RFC 3414, which is an Internet
Standard (see note above), so this sub-section needs to be retitled
and moved into Section 3.

| 4.16 RFC 2575 View-based Access Control Model (VACM) for the Simple
|      Network Management Protocol (SNMP) (VACM-SNMP)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

This document has been replaced by RFC 3415, which is an Internet
Standard (see note above), so this sub-section needs to be retitled
and moved into Section 3.

| 4.17 RFC 2790 Host Resources MIB
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 4.18 RFC 2863 The Interfaces Group MIB (INTERGRMIB)

s/INTERGRMIB/IF-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification. There is some
| discussion in one OID about an interface performing a self test, but it
| is IP version independent.

s/OID/object definition/
s/it/the object itself/

| 5.0 Proposed Standards
|
| Proposed Standards are introductory level documents.  There are no
| requirements for even a single implementation.  In many cases Proposed
| are never implemented or advanced in the IETF standards process.  They
| therefore are often just proposed ideas that are presented to the
| Internet community.  Sometimes flaws are exposed or they are one of
| many competing solutions to problems.  In these later cases, no
| discussion is presented as it would not serve the purpose of this
| discussion.
|

| 5.001 RFC 1239 Reassignment of experimental MIBs to standard MIBs
|       (STD-MIBs)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.002 RFC 1269 Definitions of Managed Objects for the Border Gateway
|       Protocol: Version 3 (BGP-MIB)

s/BGP-MIB/RFC1269-MIB/

| The use of BGP3 has been deprecated and is not discussed.
|

| 5.003 RFC 1285 FDDI Management Information Base (FDDI-MIB)

s/FDDI-MIB/RFC1285-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.004 RFC 1381 SNMP MIB Extension for X.25 LAPB (SNMP-LAPB)

s/SNMP-LAPB/RFC1381-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.005 RFC 1382 SNMP MIB Extension for the X.25 Packet Layer (SNMP-X.25)

s/SNMP-X.25/RFC1382-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.006 RFC 1414 Identification MIB (IDENT-MIB)

s/IDENT-MIB/RFC1414-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.007 RFC 1418 SNMP over OSI (SNMP-OSI)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|

| 5.008 RFC 1419 SNMP over AppleTalk (SNMP-AT)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|

| 5.009 RFC 1420 SNMP over IPX (SNMP-IPX)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|

| 5.010 RFC 1441 Introduction to version 2 of the Internet-standard
|       Network Management Framework (SNMPv2)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

This document is HISTORIC and should be removed from the survey
(otherwise, I'd say s/protocol/specification/)

| 5.011 RFC 1461 SNMP MIB extension for Multiprotocol Interconnect
|       over X.25 (X25-MIB)

s/X25-MIB/MIOX25-MIB/

| The following OIDs are defined in Section 4 "Definitions":

s/OIDs/objects/

|           mioxPleLastFailedEnAddr OBJECT-TYPE
|                   SYNTAX  OCTET STRING (SIZE(2..128))
|                   ACCESS  read-only
|                   STATUS  mandatory
|                   DESCRIPTION
|                           "The last Encapsulated address that failed
|                           to find a corresponding X.121 address and
|                           caused mioxPleEnAddrToX121LkupFlrs to be
|                           incremented.  The first octet of this object
|                           contains the encapsulation type, the
|                           remaining octets contain the address of that
|                           type that failed.  Thus for an IP address,
|                           the length will be five octets, the first
|                           octet will contain 204 (hex CC), and the
|                           last four octets will contain the IP
|                           address.  For a snap encapsulation, the
|                           first byte would be 128 (hex 80) and the
|                           rest of the octet string would have the snap
|                           header."
|                   ::= { mioxPleEntry 4 }
|
|           mioxPeerEnAddr  OBJECT-TYPE
|                   SYNTAX    OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..128))
|                   ACCESS  read-write
|                   STATUS  mandatory
|                   DESCRIPTION
|                           "The Encapsulation address of the remote
|                           host mapped by this table entry.  A length
|                           of zero indicates the remote IP address is
|                           unknown or unspecified for use as a PLE
|                           default.
|
|                           The first octet of this object contains the
|                           encapsulation type, the remaining octets
|                           contain an address of that type.  Thus for
|                           an IP address, the length will be five
|                           octets, the first octet will contain 204
|                           (hex CC), and the last four octets will
|                           contain the IP address.  For a snap
|                           encapsulation, the first byte would be 128
|                           (hex 80) and the rest of the octet string
|                           would have the snap header."
|                   DEFVAL { ''h }
|                   ::= { mioxPeerEntry 7 }
|
|        mioxPeerEncType OBJECT-TYPE
|                   SYNTAX  INTEGER (0..256)
|                   ACCESS  read-write
|                   STATUS  mandatory
|                   DESCRIPTION
|                           "The value of the encapsulation type.  For
|                           IP encapsulation this will have a value of
|                           204 (hex CC).  For SNAP encapsulated
|                           packets, this will have a value of 128 (hex
|                           80).  For CLNP, ISO 8473, this will have a
|                           value of 129 (hex 81).  For ES-ES, ISO 9542,
|                           this will have a value of 130 (hex 82).  A
|                           value of 197 (hex C5) identifies the Blacker
|                           X.25 encapsulation.  A value of 0,
|                           identifies the Null encapsulation.
|
|                           This value can only be written when the
|                           mioxPeerStatus object with the same
|                           mioxPeerIndex has a value of underCreation.
|                           Setting this object to a value of 256
|                           deletes the entry.  When deleting an entry,
|                           all other entries in the mioxPeerEncTable
|                           with the same mioxPeerIndex and with an
|                           mioxPeerEncIndex higher then the deleted
|                           entry, will all have their mioxPeerEncIndex
|                           values decremented by one."
|                   ::= { mioxPeerEncEntry 2 }
|
| Updated values of the first byte of these OID's can be defined to
| support IPv6 addresses.

s/OID's/objects/

| 5.012 RFC 1471 The Definitions of Managed Objects for the Link
|       Control Protocol of the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP/LCPMIB)

s?PPP/LCPMIB?PPP-LCP-MIB?

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.013 RFC 1472 The Definitions of Managed Objects for the Security
|       Protocols of the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP/SECMIB)

s?PPP/SECMIB?PPP-SEC-MIB?

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.014 RFC 1473 The Definitions of Managed Objects for the IP Network
|       Control Protocol of the Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP/IPMIB)

s?PPP/IPMIB?PPP-IP-NCP-MIB?

| Every OID in the MIB contain IPv4 addresses.  A new MIB must be defined
| for OIDs for similar IPv6 addresses.

The general idea is right, but this is not accurate as written.
Here is the proposed replacement text:

  This MIB module is targeted specifically at IPv4 over PPP.  A new
  MIB moduld would need to be defined to support IPv6 over PPP.

Note that the problem is not IPv4 vs. IPv6 addresses per se, but
rather IPCP (PPP IPv4 Control Protocol) vs. IPV6CP (PPP IPv6
Control Protocol).  See RFC 2472 and citations therein for more
details.

| 5.015 RFC 1474 The Definitions of Managed Objects for the Bridge
|       Network Control Protocol of the Point-to-Point Protocol
|       (PPP/Bridge)

s?PPP/BRIDGE?PPP-BRIDGE-NCP-MIB?

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.016 RFC 1512 FDDI Management Information Base (FDDI-MIB)

s/FDDI-MIB/FDDI-SMT73-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.017 RFC 1513 Token Ring Extensions to the Remote Network
|       Monitoring MIB
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.018 RFC 1515 Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3
|       Medium Attachment Units (MAUs)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

This specification will soon be officially obsoleted by
draft-ietf-hubmib-mau-mib-v3-04.txt, which will also
replace RFC 2668.  Since draft-ietf-hubmib-mau-mib-v3-04.txt
is in the RFC Editor's queue as we speak, I think it would
be reasonable to drop RFC 1515 from the survey.  Note that
it actually should have been obsoleted by RFC 2668 but was
not, owing to an oversight.

| 5.019 RFC 1525 Definitions of Managed Objects for Source Routing
|       Bridges (SRB-MIB)

s/SRB-MIB/SOURCE-ROUTING-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

Regarding these sections:

| 5.020 RFC 1611 DNS Server MIB Extensions (DNS-S-MIB)
| 5.021 RFC 1612 DNS Resolver MIB Extensions (DNS-R-MIB)

As Juergen Schoenwaelder has pointed out, RFCs 1611 and 1612
have been declared HISTORIC and should be dropped from the
survey.  (Once a document has been declared HISTORIC, it is
no longer a standard of any kind.)

| 5.022 RFC 1628 UPS Management Information Base (UPS-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.023 RFC 1666 Definitions of Managed Objects for SNA NAUs
|       using SMIv2 SNANAU-MIB

s/SNANAU-MIB/(SNA-NAU-MIB)

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|
| 5.024 RFC 1696 Modem Management Information Base (MIB) using SMIv2
|       MODEM-MIB

s/MODEM-MIB/(Modem-MIB)/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.025 RFC 1697 Relational Database Management System (RDBMS)
|       Management Information Base (MIB) using SMIv2 RDBMS-MIB

s/RDBMS-MIB/(RDBMS-MIB)/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.026 RFC 1742 AppleTalk Management Information Base II (AT-MIB)

s/AT-MIB/APPLETALK-MIB/

| The following OIDs are defined:

s/OIDs/objects/

|          KipEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
|               kipNetStart     ATNetworkNumber,
|               kipNetEnd       ATNetworkNumber,
|               kipNextHop      IpAddress,
|               kipHopCount     INTEGER,
|               kipBCastAddr    IpAddress,
|               kipCore         INTEGER,
|               kipType         INTEGER,
|               kipState        INTEGER,
|               kipShare        INTEGER,
|               kipFrom         IpAddress
|           }
|
|           kipNextHop OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX IpAddress
|               ACCESS read-write
|               STATUS mandatory
|               DESCRIPTION
|                   "The IP address of the next hop in the route to this
|                   entry's destination network."
|               ::= { kipEntry 3 }
|
|           kipBCastAddr OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX IpAddress
|               ACCESS read-write
|               STATUS mandatory
|               DESCRIPTION
|                   "The form of the IP address used to broadcast on this
|                   network."
|               ::= { kipEntry 5 }
|
|           kipFrom OBJECT-TYPE
|               SYNTAX IpAddress
|               ACCESS read-only
|               STATUS mandatory
|               DESCRIPTION
|                   "The IP address from which the routing entry was
|                   learned via the AA protocol.  If this entry was not
|                   created via the AA protocol, it should contain IP
|                   address 0.0.0.0."
|               ::= { kipEntry 10 }
|

| 5.027 RFC 1747 Definitions of Managed Objects for SNA Data Link
|       Control (SDLC) using SMIv2 SDLCSMIv2

s/SDLCSMIv2/(SNA-SDLC-MIB)/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification

| 5.028 RFC 1749 IEEE 802.5 Station Source Routing MIB using SMIv2
|       802.5-SSR

s/802.5-SSR/(TOKENRING-STATION-SR-MIB)/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.029 RFC 1759 Printer MIB (Print-MIB)

s/Print-MIB/Printer-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

Note:  this document is slated to be replaced someday "soon" by
<draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-15.txt>.  When you issue an update
of this draft, check the status of RFC 1759 to see if it has
been replaced.

| 5.030 RFC 2006 The Definitions of Managed Objects for IP Mobility
|       Support using SMIv2 (MOBILEIPMI)

s/MOBILEIPMI/MIP-MIB/

| This document defines a MIB for the Mobile IPv4 documents described
| immediately above.  Without enumeration, let it be stated that a new
| MIB for IPv6 Mobility is required.
|

| 5.031 RFC 2011 SNMPv2 Management Information Base for the Internet
|       Protocol using SMIv2 (MIB-IP)

s/MIB-IP/IP-MIB/

| Approximately 1/3 of the OIDs defined in this document are clearly
| IPv4 dependent.  A new MIB for IPv6 OIDs is required.

Rewrite as follows:

  Approximately 1/3 of the objects defined in this document are
  IPv4-dependent.  New objects need to be defined to support IPv6.

| 5.032 RFC 2012 SNMPv2 Management Information Base for the
|       Transmission Control Protocol using SMIv2 (MIB-TCP)

s/MIB-TCP/TCP-MIB/

| A number of OIDs in this MIB assumes IPv4 addresses, as is noted in
| the note reproduced below:

s/OIDs/object definitions/

| IESG Note:
|
|    The IP, UDP, and TCP MIB modules currently support only IPv4.  These
|    three modules use the IpAddress type defined as an OCTET STRING of
|    length 4 to represent the IPv4 32-bit internet addresses.  (See RFC
|    1902, SMI for SNMPv2.)  They do not support the new 128-bit IPv6
|    internet addresses.
|

| 5.033 RFC 2013 SNMPv2 Management Information Base for the User
|       Datagram Protocol using SMIv2 (MIB-UDP)

s/MIB-UDP/UDP-MIB/

| A number of OIDs in this MIB assumes IPv4 addresses, as is noted in
| the note reproduced below:

s/OIDs/object definitions/

| IESG Note:
|
|    The IP, UDP, and TCP MIB modules currently support only IPv4.  These
|    three modules use the IpAddress type defined as an OCTET STRING of
|    length 4 to represent the IPv4 32-bit internet addresses.  (See RFC
|    1902, SMI for SNMPv2.)  They do not support the new 128-bit IPv6
|    internet addresses.
|

| 5.034 RFC 2020 IEEE 802.12 Interface MIB (802.12-MIB)

s/802.12-MIB/DOT12-IF-MIB/

Note:  the actual title is "Definitions of Managed Objects for
IEEE 802.12 Interfaces" ... I've not been checking this;  does
it matter?

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.035 RFC 2021 Remote Network Monitoring Management Information Base
|       Version 2 using SMIv2 (RMON-MIB)

s/RMON-MIB/RMON2-MIB/

> [...]

|         conversation.
|         This is represented as an octet string with
|         specific semantics and length as identified
|         by the associated alMatrixTopNProtocolDirLocalIndex.
|
|         For example, if the alMatrixTopNProtocolDirLocalIndex
|         indicates an encapsulation of ip, this object is encoded as a
|         length octet of 4, followed by the 4 octets of the ip address,
|         in network byte order."
|     ::= { alMatrixTopNEntry 3 }
|
| alMatrixTopNDestAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX     OCTET STRING
|     MAX-ACCESS read-only
|     STATUS     current
|     DESCRIPTION
|         "The network layer address of the destination host in this
|         conversation.
|
|         This is represented as an octet string with
|         specific semantics and length as identified
|         by the associated alMatrixTopNProtocolDirLocalIndex.
|
|         For example, if the alMatrixTopNProtocolDirLocalIndex
|         indicates an encapsulation of ip, this object is encoded as a
|         length octet of 4, followed by the 4 octets of the ip address,
|         in network byte order."
|     ::= { alMatrixTopNEntry 4 }
|
| trapDestProtocol OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX     INTEGER {
|                     ip(1),
|                     ipx(2)
|                 }
|     MAX-ACCESS read-create
|     STATUS     current
|     DESCRIPTION
|         "The protocol with which to send this trap."
|     ::= { trapDestEntry 3 }
|
| trapDestAddress  OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX     OCTET STRING
|     MAX-ACCESS read-create
|     STATUS     current
|     DESCRIPTION
|         "The address to send traps on behalf of this entry.
|
|         If the associated trapDestProtocol object is equal to ip(1),
|         the encoding of this object is the same as the snmpUDPAddress
|         textual convention in [RFC1906]:
|           -- for a SnmpUDPAddress of length 6:
|           --
|           -- octets   contents        encoding
|           --  1-4     IP-address      network-byte order
|           --  5-6     UDP-port        network-byte order
|
|         If the associated trapDestProtocol object is equal to ipx(2),
|         the encoding of this object is the same as the snmpIPXAddress
|         textual convention in [RFC1906]:
|           -- for a SnmpIPXAddress of length 12:
|           --
|           -- octets   contents            encoding
|           --  1-4     network-number      network-byte order
|           --  5-10    physical-address    network-byte order
|           -- 11-12    socket-number       network-byte order
|
|         This object may not be modified if the associated
|         trapDestStatus object is equal to active(1)."
|     ::= { trapDestEntry 4 }
|
| All of the OIDs above (except trapDestProtocol) imply IPv4 addresses
| but since they use a SYNTAX of OCTET STRING, they should work fine
| for IPv6 addresses.  A new legitimate value of trapDestProtocol (i.e.
| SYNTAX addition of ipv6(3) should make this specification IPv6

s/OIDs/object definitions/
s/imply IPv4 addresses/mention only IPv4 addresses,/
s/IPv6 functional./functional for IPv6./

| 5.036 RFC 2024 Definitions of Managed Objects for Data Link Switching
|       using SMIv2 (DLSW-MIB)
|
| The following OIDs are defined:

s/OIDs/textual conventions/

| TAddress ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
|     STATUS  current
|     DESCRIPTION
|        "Denotes a transport service address.
|         For dlswTCPDomain, a TAddress is 4 octets long,
|         containing the IP-address in network-byte order."
|     SYNTAX  OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..255))
|
| -- DLSw over TCP
| dlswTCPDomain  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { dlswDomains 1 }
| -- for an IP address of length 4:
| --
| -- octets   contents        encoding
| --  1-4     IP-address      network-byte order
| --
| DlswTCPAddress ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
|     DISPLAY-HINT "1d.1d.1d.1d"
|     STATUS       current
|     DESCRIPTION
|             "Represents the IP address of a DLSw which uses
|              TCP as a transport protocol."
|     SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE (4))
|
| Additionally there are many OIDs that use a SYNTAX of TAddress within
| the document.  Interestingly the SYNTAX for TAddress is an OCTET
| string of up to 256 characters.  It could easily accommodate a similar
| hybrid format for IPv6 addresses.

above: s/OIDs/object definitions/

| A new OID to enhance functionality for DlswTCPAddress can be added
| to support IPv6 addresses.

above: s/OID/textual convention/, s/can/could/

| 5.037 RFC 2051 Definitions of Managed Objects for APPC using SMIv2
|       (SNANAU-APP)

s/SNANAU-APP/APPC-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.038 RFC 2096 IP Forwarding Table MIB (TABLE-MIB)

s/TABLE-MIB/IP-FORWARD-MIB/

| This MIB defines many OIDs that are IPv4 dependent.  It is expected
| that another MIB for similar IPv6 addresses will be developed.

Rewrite the last paragraph:

  The MIB module's main conceptual table ipCidrRouteTable uses IPv4
  addresses as index objects and is therefore incapbable of
  representing an IPv6 forwarding information base.  A new
  conceptual table needs to be defined to support IPv6 addresses.

| 5.039 RFC 2108 Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3 Repeater
|       Devices using SMIv2 802 (3-MIB)

s/3-MIB/SNMP-REPEATER-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.040 RFC 2127 ISDN Management Information Base using SMIv2
|       (ISDN-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.041 RFC 2128 Dial Control Management Information Base using
|       SMIv2 (DC-MIB)

s/DC-MIB/DIAL-CONTROL-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.042 RFC 2206 RSVP Management Information Base using SMIv2
|       (RSVP-MIB)
|
| All OIDs in this MIB have options for both IPv4 and IPv6.  There
| are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

s/All OIDs/All of the relevant object definitions/

| 5.043 RFC 2213 Integrated Services Management Information
|       Base using SMIv2
|
| This MIB is IPv6 aware and therefore there are no IPv4
| dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.044 RFC 2214 Integrated Services Management Information
|       Base Guaranteed Service Extensions using SMIv2
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.045 RFC 2232 Definitions of Managed Objects for DLUR using
|       SMIv2 (DLUR-MIB)

s/DLUR-MIB/APPN-DLUR-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.046 RFC 2238 Definitions of Managed Objects for HPR using
|       SMIv2 (HPR-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.047 RFC 2266 Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.12
|       Repeater Devices
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.048 RFC 2287 Definitions of System-Level Managed Objects for
|       Applications (SLM-APP)

s/SLM-APP/SYSAPPL-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.049 RFC 2320 Definitions of Managed Objects for Classical IP
|       and ARP Over ATM Using SMIv2 (IPOA-MIB) (IPOA-MIB)

Remove the second occurrence of "(IPOA-MIB)"

| This MIB is wholly dependent of IPv4.  A new MIB for IPv6 is
| required to provide the same functionality
|

| 5.050 RFC 2417 Definitions of Managed Objects for Multicast
|       over UNI 3.0/3.1 based ATM Networks
|
| There are many OIDs defined in this MIB which are IPv4 only.  A
| similar MIB for IPv6 OIDs should be created.

Rewrite, by stealing from previous section:

  This MIB is wholly dependent of IPv4.  A new MIB for IPv6 is
  required to provide the same functionality

| 5.051 RFC 2452 IP Version 6 Management Information Base for the
|       Transmission Control Protocol
|
| This RFC documents an IPv6 MIB and is not considered in this
| discussion.

s/an IPv6 MIB/a soon-to-be-obsoleted IPv6 MIB/

| 5.052 RFC 2454 IP Version 6 Management Information Base for
|       the User Datagram Protocol
|
| This RFC documents an IPv6 MIB and is not considered in this
| discussion.

s/an IPv6 MIB/a soon-to-be-obsoleted IPv6 MIB/

| 5.053 RFC 2455 Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN
|       (APPN-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.054 RFC 2456 Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN TRAPS
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.055 RFC 2457 Definitions of Managed Objects for Extended Border
|       Node (EBN-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.056 RFC 2465 Management Information Base for IP Version 6:
|       Textual Conventions and General Group
|
| This RFC documents an IPv6 MIB and is not considered in this
| discussion.

s/an IPv6 MIB/a soon-to-be-obsoleted IPv6 MIB/

| 5.057 RFC 2466 Management Information Base for IP Version 6:
|       ICMPv6 Group (ICMPv6-MIB)

s/ICMPv6-MIB/IPV6-ICMP-MIB/

| This RFC documents an IPv6 MIB and is not considered in this
| discussion.

s/an IPv6 MIB/a soon-to-be-obsoleted IPv6 MIB/

| 5.058 RFC 2493 Textual Conventions for MIB Modules Using
|       Performance History Based on 15 Minute Intervals
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

Note:  this document is due to be replaced by RFC 3593,
which will be a Draft Standard and will have the same title.

| 5.059 RFC 2494 Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS0
|       and DS0 Bundle Interface Type
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.060 RFC 2495 Definitions of Managed Objects for the DS1 E1
|       DS2 and E2 Interface Types

s/DS1 E1/DS1, E1,/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.061 RFC 2496 Definitions of Managed Object for the DS3/E3
|       Interface Type (DS3-E3-MIB)

s/(DS3-E3-MIB)/(DS3-MIB)/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.062 RFC 2512 Accounting Information for ATM Networks
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.063 RFC 2513 Managed Objects for Controlling the Collection
|       and Storage of Accounting Information for Connection-
|       Oriented Networks
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.064 RFC 2514 Definitions of Textual Conventions and
|       OBJECT-IDENTITIES for ATM Management (ATM-TC-OID)

s/ATM-TC-OID/ATM-TC-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.065 RFC 2515 Definitions of Managed Objects for ATM
|       Management (ATM-MIBMAN)

s/ATM-MIBMAN/ATM-MIB/

| This MIB defines the following OIDs:

s/OIDs/objects/

|      AtmInterfaceConfEntry    ::= SEQUENCE  {
|           atmInterfaceMaxVpcs             INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceMaxVccs             INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceConfVpcs            INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceConfVccs            INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceMaxActiveVpiBits    INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceMaxActiveVciBits    INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceIlmiVpi             AtmVpIdentifier,
|           atmInterfaceIlmiVci             AtmVcIdentifier,
|           atmInterfaceAddressType         INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceAdminAddress        AtmAddr,
|           atmInterfaceMyNeighborIpAddress IpAddress,
|           atmInterfaceMyNeighborIfName    DisplayString,
|           atmInterfaceCurrentMaxVpiBits   INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceCurrentMaxVciBits   INTEGER,
|           atmInterfaceSubscrAddress       AtmAddr
|                }
|
|      atmInterfaceMyNeighborIpAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|           SYNTAX         IpAddress
|           MAX-ACCESS     read-write
|           STATUS         current
|           DESCRIPTION
|            "The IP address of the neighbor system connected to
|             the  far end of this interface, to which a Network
|             Management Station can send SNMP messages, as IP
|             datagrams sent to UDP port 161, in order to access
|             network management information concerning the
|             operation of that system.  Note that the value
|             of this object may be obtained in different ways,
|             e.g., by manual configuration, or through ILMI
|             interaction with the neighbor system."
|           ::= { atmInterfaceConfEntry 11 }
|
|      atmInterfaceConfGroup2    OBJECT-GROUP
|             OBJECTS {
|                   atmInterfaceMaxVpcs, atmInterfaceMaxVccs,
|                   atmInterfaceConfVpcs, atmInterfaceConfVccs,
|                   atmInterfaceMaxActiveVpiBits,
|                   atmInterfaceMaxActiveVciBits,
|                   atmInterfaceIlmiVpi,
|                   atmInterfaceIlmiVci,
|                   atmInterfaceMyNeighborIpAddress,
|                   atmInterfaceMyNeighborIfName,
|                   atmInterfaceCurrentMaxVpiBits,
|                   atmInterfaceCurrentMaxVciBits,
|                   atmInterfaceSubscrAddress }
|             STATUS     current
|             DESCRIPTION
|               "A collection of objects providing configuration
|                information about an ATM interface."
|             ::= { atmMIBGroups 10 }
|

| Clearly a subsequent MIB must define equivalent IPv6 OIDs.

s/subsequent MIB/subsequent revision of this MIB module/
s/OIDs/objects/
s/must/should/

| 5.066 RFC 2558 Definitions of Managed Objects for the SONET/SDH
|       Interface Type
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

Note:  this document is due to be replaced by RFC 3592,
which will be a Draft Standard and will have the title
"Definitions of Managed Objects for the Synchronous
Optical Network/Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SONET/SDH)
Interface Type"

| 5.067 RFC 2561 Base Definitions of Managed Objects for TN3270E
|       Using SMIv2
|
| The document states:
|
|    The MIB defined by this memo supports use of both IPv4 and IPv6
|    addressing.
|
| This specification is both IPv4 and IPv6 aware.
|

| 5.068 RFC 2562 Definitions of Protocol and Managed Objects for
|       TN3270E Response Time Collection Using SMIv2 (TN3270E-RT-MIB)
|       (TN2370E-RT)

remove "(TN3270E-RT)" at the end

| Several OIDs rely on imports from RFC 2561 and therefore the
| protocol is both IPv4 and IPv6 aware.

rewrite:

  This MIB module inherits IP version-independence by virtue of
  importing the appropriate definitions from RFC 2561.

| 5.069 RFC 2564 Application Management MIB (APP-MIB)

s/APP-MIB/APPLICATION-MIB/

| The following OID is defined:

s/OID/textual convention/

|    ApplTAddress ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
|        STATUS       current
|        DESCRIPTION
|              "Denotes a transport service address.
|
|              For snmpUDPDomain, an ApplTAddress is 6 octets long,
|              the initial 4 octets containing the IP-address in
|              network-byte order and the last 2 containing the UDP
|              port in network-byte order.  Consult 'Transport Mappings
|              for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
|              (SNMPv2)' for further information on snmpUDPDomain."
|        SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..255))
|

| A new OID should be defined to handle IPv6 addresses.

s/OID/TC/

| 5.070 RFC 2576 Coexistence between Version 1 Version 2 and Version
|       3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework (SNMP)

remove "(SNMP)"

| This document states:
|
|    (11) For any object with a SYNTAX of NetworkAddress, the SYNTAX MUST
|         be changed to IpAddress.  Note that the use of NetworkAddress in
|         new MIB documents is strongly discouraged (in fact, new MIB
|         documents should be written using SMIv2, which does not define
|         NetworkAddress).
|
| and defines the OID:

s/OID/object/

| snmpTrapAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX      IpAddress
|     MAX-ACCESS  accessible-for-notify
|     STATUS      current
|     DESCRIPTION
|         "The value of the agent-addr field of a Trap PDU which
|          is forwarded by a proxy forwarder application using
|          an SNMP version other than SNMPv1.  The value of this
|          object SHOULD contain the value of the agent-addr field
|          from the original Trap PDU as generated by an SNMPv1
|          agent."
|     ::= { snmpCommunityMIBObjects 3 }
|
| This clearly points out a lack of IPv6 awareness in this specification.

That last sentence is incorrect.  The presence of this stuff
is not because the specification has a lack of IPv6 awareness;
it is there because it is necessary to allow a MIB translator
or a proxy forwarder to do its job ... and that job is to allow
legacy versions of the SNMP (SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c, both now Historic
protocols) to coexist with SNMPv3.  I think Randy Presuhn has
complained about this before.  Here is the suggested replacement:

  Since purpose of this document is to describe how legacy
  specifications with IPv4 dependencies (SMIv1, SNMPv1, and
  SNMPv2c) can coexist with current ones (SMIv2 and SNMPv3),
  the IPv4 dependencies documented above are acceptable and,
  indeed, unavoidable.

In addition, note that RFC 2576 has been replaced by RFC 3584,
which is a BCP.  So the title needs to changed, and sub-section
itself needs to be moved.

| 5.071 RFC 2564 Application Management MIB (APP-MIB)
|
| The following OID is defined:
|
|    ApplTAddress ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
|        STATUS       current
|        DESCRIPTION
|              "Denotes a transport service address.
|
|              For snmpUDPDomain, an ApplTAddress is 6 octets long,
|              the initial 4 octets containing the IP-address in
|              network-byte order and the last 2 containing the UDP
|              port in network-byte order.  Consult 'Transport Mappings
|              for Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol
|              (SNMPv2)' for further information on snmpUDPDomain."
|        SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE (0..255))
|

| A new OID should be defined to handle IPv6 addresses.

This sub-section is a duplicate of 5.069 and should be removed.

| 5.072 RFC 2576 Coexistence between Version 1 Version 2 and Version
|       3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework (SNMP)
|
| This document states:
|
|    (11) For any object with a SYNTAX of NetworkAddress, the SYNTAX MUST
|         be changed to IpAddress.  Note that the use of NetworkAddress in
|         new MIB documents is strongly discouraged (in fact, new MIB
|         documents should be written using SMIv2, which does not define
|         NetworkAddress).
|
| and defines the OID:
|
| snmpTrapAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX      IpAddress
|     MAX-ACCESS  accessible-for-notify
|     STATUS      current
|     DESCRIPTION
|         "The value of the agent-addr field of a Trap PDU which
|          is forwarded by a proxy forwarder application using
|          an SNMP version other than SNMPv1.  The value of this
|          object SHOULD contain the value of the agent-addr field
|          from the original Trap PDU as generated by an SNMPv1
|          agent."
|     ::= { snmpCommunityMIBObjects 3 }
|
| This clearly points out a lack of IPv6 awareness in this specification.

This sub-section is a duplicate of 5.070 and should be removed.

| 5.073 RFC 2584 Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN/HPR in
|       IP Networks
|
| Many of the OIDs described in this document assume the use of the
| IPv4 only TOS header bits.  It is therefore IPv4 only in nature and
| will not support IPv6 interfaces.  An updated MIB should be created.

s/OIDs/object definitions/
s/IPv4-only/

| 5.074 RFC 2591 Definitions of Managed Objects for Scheduling
|       Management Operations
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.075 RFC 2592 Definitions of Managed Objects for the Delegation
|       of Management Script
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.076 RFC 2594 Definitions of Managed Objects for WWW Services
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.077 RFC 2605 Directory Server Monitoring MIB
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.078 RFC 2613 Remote Network Monitoring MIB Extensions for
|       Switched Networks Version 1.0
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.079 RFC 2618 RADIUS Authentication Client MIB
|
| This RFC defines the following OIDs:
|
| RadiusAuthServerEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
|       radiusAuthServerIndex                           Integer32,
|       radiusAuthServerAddress                         IpAddress,
|       radiusAuthClientServerPortNumber                Integer32,
|       radiusAuthClientRoundTripTime                   TimeTicks,
|       radiusAuthClientAccessRequests                  Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientAccessRetransmissions           Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientAccessAccepts                   Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientAccessRejects                   Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientAccessChallenges                Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientMalformedAccessResponses        Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientBadAuthenticators               Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientPendingRequests                   Gauge32,
|       radiusAuthClientTimeouts                        Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientUnknownTypes                    Counter32,
|       radiusAuthClientPacketsDropped                  Counter32
| }
|
| radiusAuthServerAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|       SYNTAX     IpAddress
|       MAX-ACCESS read-only
|       STATUS     current
|       DESCRIPTION
|             "The IP address of the RADIUS authentication server
|              referred to in this table entry."
|       ::= { radiusAuthServerEntry 2 }
|
| There needs to be an update to allow an IPv6 based OID for this
| value.
|

| 5.080 RFC 2619 RADIUS Authentication Server MIB
|
| This MIB defines the followings OIDs:

s/OIDs/objects/

| RadiusAuthClientEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
|        radiusAuthClientIndex                           Integer32,
|        radiusAuthClientAddress                         IpAddress,
|        radiusAuthClientID                        SnmpAdminString,
|        radiusAuthServAccessRequests                    Counter32,
|        radiusAuthServDupAccessRequests                 Counter32,
|        radiusAuthServAccessAccepts                     Counter32,
|        radiusAuthServAccessRejects                     Counter32,
|        radiusAuthServAccessChallenges                  Counter32,
|        radiusAuthServMalformedAccessRequests           Counter32,
|        radiusAuthServBadAuthenticators                 Counter32,
|        radiusAuthServPacketsDropped                    Counter32,
|        radiusAuthServUnknownTypes                      Counter32
| }
|
| radiusAuthClientAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|        SYNTAX     IpAddress
|        MAX-ACCESS read-only
|        STATUS     current
|        DESCRIPTION
|              "The NAS-IP-Address of the RADIUS authentication client
|               referred to in this table entry."
|        ::= { radiusAuthClientEntry 2 }
|
| There needs to be an update to allow an IPv6 based OID for this
| value.

rewrite:

  This object needs to be deprecated and replaced by one that
  supports both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

| 5.081 RFC 2622 Routing Policy Specification Language (RPSL)
|       (RPSL)

remove 2nd occurrence of "(RPSL)"

| The only objects in the version of RPSL that deal with IP addresses
| are defined as:
|
|    <ipv4-address> An IPv4 address is represented as a sequence of four
|       integers in the range from 0 to 255 separated by the character dot
|       ".".  For example, 128.9.128.5 represents a valid IPv4 address.
|       In the rest of this document, we may refer to IPv4 addresses as IP
|       addresses.
|
|    <address-prefix> An address prefix is represented as an IPv4 address
|       followed by the character slash "/" followed by an integer in the
|       range from 0 to 32.  The following are valid address prefixes:
|       128.9.128.5/32, 128.9.0.0/16, 0.0.0.0/0; and the following address
|       prefixes are invalid:  0/0, 128.9/16 since 0 or 128.9 are not
|       strings containing four integers.
|
| There seems to be an awareness of IPv6 because of the terminology but
| it is not specifically defined.  Therefore additional objects for IPv6
| addresses and masks need to be defined.
|

| 5.082 RFC 2662 Definitions of Managed Objects for the ADSL
|       Lines (MIB)

remove "(MIB)"

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.083 RFC 2665 Definitions of Managed Objects for the
|       Ethernet-like Interface Types (MIB)

s/MIB/EtherLike-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

Note:  this document is due to be replaced by
draft-ietf-hubmib-etherif-mib-v3-03.txt, which
the IESG recently approved as a Proposed Standard.
When you issue an update of this draft, check the
status of RFC 2665 to see if it has been replaced.

| 5.084 RFC 2667 IP Tunnel MIB
|
| The Abstract of this document says:
|
|    This memo defines a Management Information Base (MIB) for use with
|    network management protocols in the Internet community.  In
|    particular, it describes managed objects used for managing tunnels of
|    any type over IPv4 networks.  Extension MIBs may be designed for
|    managing protocol-specific objects. Likewise, extension MIBs may be
|    designed for managing security-specific objects.  This MIB does not
|    support tunnels over non-IPv4 networks (including IPv6 networks).
|    Management of such tunnels may be supported by other MIBs.
|
| A similar MIB for tunneling over IPv6 should be defined.
|

| 5.085 RFC 2668 Definitions of Managed Objects for IEEE 802.3 Medium
|       Attachment Units (MAUs) (MAU-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

Note:  this document is due to be replaced by
draft-ietf-hubmib-mau-mib-v3-04.txt, which the
IESG recently approved as a Proposed Standard.
When you issue an update of this draft, check the
status of RFC 2668 to see if it has been replaced.

| 5.086 RFC 2669 DOCSIS Cable Device MIB Cable Device Management
|       Information Base for DOCSIS compliant Cable Modems and
|       Cable Modem Termination Systems
|
| This document states:
|
|    Please note that the DOCSIS 1.0 standard only requires Cable
|    Modems to implement SNMPv1 and to process IPv4 customer traffic.
|    Design choices in this MIB reflect those requirements.  Future
|    versions of the DOCSIS standard are expected to require support
|    for SNMPv3 and IPv6 as well.
|

| 5.087 RFC 2670 Radio Frequency (RF) Interface Management Information
|       Base for MCNS/DOCSIS compliant RF interfaces (MIB)

remove "(MIB)"

| This MIB defines the following OIDs:

s/OIDs/objects

| DocsIfCmtsCmStatusEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusIndex               Integer32,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusMacAddress          MacAddress,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusIpAddress           IpAddress,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusDownChannelIfIndex  InterfaceIndexOrZero,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusUpChannelIfIndex    InterfaceIndexOrZero,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusRxPower             TenthdBmV,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusTimingOffset        Unsigned32,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusEqualizationData    OCTET STRING,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusValue               INTEGER,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusUnerroreds          Counter32,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusCorrecteds          Counter32,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusUncorrectables      Counter32,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusSignalNoise         TenthdB,
|             docsIfCmtsCmStatusMicroreflections    Integer32
|         }
|
| docsIfCmtsCmStatusIpAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|         SYNTAX      IpAddress
|         MAX-ACCESS  read-only
|         STATUS      current
|         DESCRIPTION
|             "IP address of this Cable Modem. If the Cable Modem has no
|              IP address assigned, or the IP address is unknown, this
|              object returns a value of 0.0.0.0. If the Cable Modem has
|              multiple IP addresses, this object returns the IP address
|              associated with the Cable interface."
|         ::= { docsIfCmtsCmStatusEntry 3 }
|
| IPv6 OIDs should be defined.

Rewrite this last sentence:

  This object needs to be deprecated and replaced by one that
  supports both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

| 5.088 RFC 2674 Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges with
|       Traffic Classes, Multicast Filtering and Virtual LAN
|       Extensions (MIB)

s/(MIB)/(P-BRIDGE-MIB)/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.089 RFC 2677 Definitions of Managed Objects for the NBMA Next
|       Hop Resolution Protocol (NHRP) (NHRP-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.90 RFC 2720 Traffic Flow Measurement: Meter MIB
|
| This protocol is both IPv4 and IPv6 aware and needs no changes.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.091 RFC 2725 Routing Policy System Security
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.092 RFC 2726 PGP Authentication for RIPE Database Updates
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

Is this actually an OPS Area specification?

| 5.093 RFC 2737 Entity MIB (Version 2)
|
| The TAddress Syntax is used in this MIB which contains IPv4
| assumptions and need to be updated.
|
| entLogicalTAddress OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX      TAddress
|     MAX-ACCESS  read-only
|     STATUS      current
|     DESCRIPTION
|             "The transport service address by which the logical entity
|             receives network management traffic, formatted according to
|             the corresponding value of entLogicalTDomain.
|
|             For snmpUDPDomain, a TAddress is 6 octets long, the initial
|             4 octets containing the IP-address in network-byte order and
|             the last 2 containing the UDP port in network-byte order.
|             Consult 'Transport Mappings for Version 2 of the Simple
|             Network Management Protocol' (RFC 1906 [RFC1906]) for
|             further information on snmpUDPDomain."

The statement that the TAddress SYNTAX value "contains IPv4
assumptions" is actually not correct.  The TDomain/TAddress types
allow for arbitrary transport domains and addresses to be
represented.  It is true that the DESCRIPTION clause quoted above
spells out details only for snmpUDPDomain, but that does not mean
that entLogicalTDomain and entLogicalTAddress can't represent IPv6
transport domains and addresses.  See RFC 2579 and RFC 3419 for
further information.  I therefore propose to replace the preceding
two paragraphs with this:

  There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

Note: this RFC is due to be replaced by draft-ietf-entmib-v3-03.txt
or a successor;  when published it will be a Draft Standard.  Check
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc-index.txt before updating this memo
to determine if this has happened.

| 5.094 RFC 2741 Agent Extensibility (AgentX) Protocol Version
|       1 (SNMP)

remove "(SNMP)"

| This protocol contains definitions for IPv4 only objects, by reference
| and all examples use only IPv4 addressing.  However, there does not
| seem to be any reason that it could not easily be modified to support
| IPv6 addresses.

I think that a more accurate statement would be:

  Although the examples in the document are for IPv4 transport
  only, there is no IPv4 dependency in the AgentX protocol itself.

| 5.095 RFC 2742 Definitions of Managed Objects for Extensible SNMP
|       Agents
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.096 RFC 2748 The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol
|       (COPS)

remove "(COPS)"

| This protocol is both IPv4 and IPv6 aware and needs no changes.
|

| 5.097 RFC 2749 COPS usage for RSVP
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|
| 5.098 RFC 2769 Routing Policy System Replication (RPSL)

remove "(RPSL)"

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

Is this an OPS Area spec?  It looks like a routine area
spec to me.

| 5.099 RFC 2787 Definitions of Managed Objects for the Virtual
|       Router Redundancy Protocol
|
| As stated in the Overview section:
|
|    Since the VRRP protocol is intended for use with IPv4 routers only,
|    this MIB uses the SYNTAX for IP addresses which is specific to IPv4.
|    Thus, changes will be required for this MIB to interoperate in an
|    IPv6 environment.
|

| 5.100 RFC 2788 Network Services Monitoring MIB
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.101 RFC 2789 Mail Monitoring MIB
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.102 RFC 2837 Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fabric Element
|       in Fibre Channel Standard
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.103 RFC 2851 Textual Conventions for Internet Network Addresses
|
| This MIB defines a new set of OIDs for that allow new MIB's to
| use multiple versions of IP.  Currently IPv4 and IPv6 addressing
| is defined.  Update of the many MIBs previously identified as
| having IPv4 dependencies could easily be updated using this new
| set of IP address abstractions.

This document has been replaced by RFC 3291 (also a proposed
standard).  Please update this subsection accordingly.

| 5.104 RFC 2856 Textual Conventions for Additional High Capacity
|       Data Types (SNMP)

remove "(SNMP)"

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.105 RFC 2864 The Inverted Stack Table Extension to the Interfaces
|       Group MIB
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.106 RFC 2895 Remote Network Monitoring MIB Protocol Identifier
|       Reference (RMON-MIB)

remove "(RMON-MIB)"

| This MIB is both IPv4 and IPv6 aware and needs no changes.

s/MIB/specification/
(the document does not contain a MIB module)

| 5.107 RFC 2925 Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote
|       Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations
|
| This MIB mostly is IPv4 and IPv6 aware.  There are a few
| assumptions that are problems thought.  In the following OIDs:

s/problems thought./problems, though./
s/OIDs/object definitions/

|  pingCtlDataSize OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (0..65507)
|     UNITS       "octets"
|     MAX-ACCESS  read-create
|     STATUS      current
|     DESCRIPTION
|         "Specifies the size of the data portion to be
|         transmitted in a ping operation in octets.  A ping
|         request is usually an ICMP message encoded
|         into an IP packet.  An IP packet has a maximum size
|         of 65535 octets.  Subtracting the size of the ICMP
|         or UDP header (both 8 octets) and the size of the IP
|         header (20 octets) yields a maximum size of 65507
|         octets."
|     DEFVAL { 0 }
|     ::= { pingCtlEntry 5 }
|

|  traceRouteCtlDataSize OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX      Unsigned32 (0..65507)
|     UNITS       "octets"
|     MAX-ACCESS  read-create
|     STATUS      current
|     DESCRIPTION
|         "Specifies the size of the data portion of a traceroute
|         request in octets.  A traceroute request is essentially
|         transmitted by encoding a UDP datagram into a
|         IP packet. So subtracting the size of a UDP header
|         (8 octets) and the size of a IP header (20 octets)
|         yields a maximum of 65507 octets."
|     DEFVAL { 0 }
|     ::= { traceRouteCtlEntry 6 }
|
| There is clearly an assumption of IPv4 header sizes.

Please rewrite this last sentence:

  The DESCRIPTION clauses need to be updated to remove the
  IPv4 dependencies.

Note that there is nothing wrong with the objects themselves.

| 5.108 RFC 2932 IPv4 Multicast Routing MIB
|
| This specification is only defined for IPv4 and a similar MIB
| must be defined for IPv6.
|

| 5.109 RFC 2933 Internet Group Management Protocol MIB
|
| As stated in this document:
|
|    Since IGMP is specific to IPv4, this MIB does not support management
|    of equivalent functionality for other address families, such as IPv6.
|

| 5.110 RFC 2940 Definitions of Managed Objects for Common
|       Open Policy Service (COPS) Protocol Clients
|
| This MIB is both IPv4 and IPv6 aware and needs no changes.
|

| 5.111 RFC 2954 Definitions of Managed Objects for Frame
|       Relay Service (FR-MIB)

s/FR-MIB/FRNETSERV-MIB/

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.112 RFC 2955 Definitions of Managed Objects for Monitoring
|       and Controlling the Frame Relay/ATM PVC Service
|       Interworking Function
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.113 RFC 2959 Real-Time Transport Protocol Management
|       Information Base
|
| There are numerous uses of the included TAddress Syntax which is
| IPv4 dependent as noted above.
|
| For example:
|
| rtpSessionRemAddr OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX          TAddress
|     MAX-ACCESS      read-create
|     STATUS          current
|     DESCRIPTION
|       "The address to which RTP packets are sent by the RTP system.
|       In an IP multicast RTP session, this is the single address used
|       by all senders and receivers of RTP session data.  In a unicast
|       RTP session this is the unicast address of the remote RTP system.
|       'The destination address pair may be common for all participants,
|       as in the case of IP multicast, or may be different for each, as
|       in the case of individual unicast network address pairs.'  See
|       RFC 1889, 'RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications,'
|       sec. 3.  The transport service is identified by rtpSessionDomain.
|       For snmpUDPDomain, this is an IP address and even-numbered UDP
|       Port with the RTCP being sent on the next higher odd-numbered
|       port, see RFC 1889, sec. 5."
|     ::= { rtpSessionEntry 3 }
|
| There are a total of 8 instances of this.

As explained above under 5.093, this does not necessarily mean that
there is an IPv4 dependency.  Please re-evaluate this MIB module and
update this section accordingly.  I'd bet that this spec doesn't really
have any IPv4 dependencies after all.

| 5.114 RFC 2981 Event MIB
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.115 RFC 2982 Distributed Management Expression MIB
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 5.116 RFC 3014 Notification Log MIB
|
| This document contains OIDs that are IPv4 specific:
|
| nlmLogVariableIpAddressVal OBJECT-TYPE
|     SYNTAX      IpAddress
|     MAX-ACCESS  read-only
|     STATUS      current
|     DESCRIPTION
|      "The value when nlmLogVariableType is 'ipAddress'.
|      Although this seems to be unfriendly for IPv6, we
|      have to recognize that there are a number of older
|      MIBs that do contain an IPv4 format address, known
|      as IpAddress.
|
|      IPv6 addresses are represented using TAddress or
|      InetAddress, and so the underlying datatype is
|      OCTET STRING, and their value would be stored in
|      the nlmLogVariableOctetStringVal column."
|     ::= { nlmLogVariableEntry 9 }
|

| Not withstanding the note in the DESCRIPTION.

THIS DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN IPv4 DEPENDENCY.  As explained in
previous comments to one of the authors, this MIB module has
the means to represent in a log ANY object syntax that is
allowed by the SNMP and the SMI.  The fact that it can
represent objects of type IpAddress in a log does NOT make it
IPv4-specific or IPv6-unfriendly, as the last paragraph in
the above DESCRIPTION clause makes amply clear.  So, please
remove ALL of the verbiage in the section and say instead:

  There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

| 5.117 RFC 3019 IP Version 6 Management Information Base for
|       The Multicast Listener Discovery Protocol
|
| This is an IPv6 related document and is not discussed in this
| document.
|

| 5.118 RFC 3020 Definitions of Managed Objects for Monitoring
|       and Controlling the UNI/NNI Multilink Frame Relay Function
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.119 RFC 3055 Management Information Base for the PINT Services
|       Architecture
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.120 RFC 3060 Policy Core Information Model -- Version 1
|       Specification (CIM)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 5.121 RFC 3084 COPS Usage for Policy Provisioning (COPS-PR)
|       (COPS-PR)

remove redundant "(COPS-PR)"

| This is an IPv4 only protocol.  A version for IPv6 must be defined.

s/must be/may ned to be/

| 6.0 Experimental RFCs
|
| Experimental RFCs typically define protocols that do not have widescale
| implementation or usage on the Internet.  They are often propriety in
| nature or used in limited arenas.  They are documented to the Internet
| community in order to allow potential interoperability or some other
| potential useful scenario.  In a few cases they are presented as
| alternatives to the mainstream solution to an acknowledged problem.
|

| 6.01 RFC 1187 Bulk Table Retrieval with the SNMP (SNMP-BULK)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|

| 6.02 RFC 1224 Techniques for managing asynchronously generated
|       alerts (ALERTS)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|

| 6.03 RFC 1238 CLNS MIB for use with Connectionless Network Protocol
|       (ISO 8473) and End System to Intermediate System (ISO 9542)
|       (CLNS-MIB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.
|

| 6.04 RFC 1592 Simple Network Management Protocol Distributed Protocol
|       Interface Version 2.0 (SNMP-DPI)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|

| 6.05 RFC 1792 TCP/IPX Connection Mib Specification (TCP/IPXMIB)

s?TCP/IPXMIB?TCPIPX-MIB?

| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

s/protocol/specification/

| 6.06 RFC 1901 Introduction to Community-based SNMPv2 (SNMPV2CB)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

RFC 1901 is now HISTORIC and should be dropped from this survey.

| 6.07 RFC 1909 An Administrative Infrastructure for SNMPv2
|       (SNMPV2AI)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

RFC 1909 is now HISTORIC and should be dropped from this survey.

| 6.08 RFC 1910 User-based Security Model for SNMPv2 (SNMPV2SM)
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

RFC 1910 is now HISTORIC and should be dropped from this survey.

| 6.09 RFC 2593 Script MIB Extensibility Protocol Version 1.0
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this specification.

This document has been obsoleted by RFC 3179, which specifies
Version 1.1 of the protocol.  Please update this section
accordingly.

| 6.10 RFC 2724 RTFM: New Attributes for Traffic Flow Measurement
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|

| 6.11 RFC 2758 Definitions of Managed Objects for Service Level
|       Agreements Performance Monitoring
|
| This protocol is both IPv4 and IPv6 aware and needs no changes.

s/protocol/specification/

| 6.12 RFC 2786 Diffie-Helman USM Key Management Information Base and
|       Textual Convention
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.

s/protocol/specification/

| 6.13 RFC 2903 Generic AAA Architecture
|
| There are no IPv4 dependencies in this protocol.
|

| 6.14 RFC 2934 Protocol Independent Multicast MIB for IPv4
|
| This document is specific to IPv4.
|

| 7.0  Summary of Results
|
| In the initial survey of RFCs 41 positives were identified out of a
| total of 163, broken down as follows:
|
|         Standards                                6 of  10 or 60.00%
|         Draft Standards	                         3 of  18 or 16.67%
|         Proposed Standards                      31 of 121 or 25.62%
|         Experimental RFCs                        1 of  14 or  7.14%
|
| Of those identified many require no action because they document
| outdated and unused protocols, while others are document protocols
| that are actively being updated by the appropriate working groups.
| Additionally there are many instances of standards that should be
| updated but do not cause any operational impact if they are not
| updated.  The remaining instances are documented below.

This may need to be updated based on corrections above.
I've not checked it.

| 7.1  Standards
|

| 7.1.1 STD 15 Simple Network Management Protocol (RFCs 1157, 1155, 1213)
|
| The limitations identified have been addressed; RFC 1157 is HISTORIC,
| RFC1155 is obsoleted by RFC 2578-2580, and RFC1213 has been split to
| multiple modules which have been seen to.

The above actually concerns three separate STDs.

STD 15, RFC 1157, is SNMPv1, but it has been retired ... that is, it has
been reclassified as HISTORIC and therefore is no longer an Internet
Standard.  So it should be dropped from the survey.

STD 16, RFCs 1155 and 1212, is SMIv1.  Officially it's still in force,
although it's no longer used for new work.  Note that RFC 1215 is part
of the same document set, although it is an Informational RFC.

STD 17, RFC 1213, is MIB-II.  Officially it's still in force, but the
parts which are still relevant have been or are being replaced.

So I would suggest replacing the above with something along these lines:

  7.1.1 STD 16, Structure of Management Information (RFCs 1155 and 1212)

  RFCs 1155 and RFCs 1212 (along with the informational document RFC
  1215) define SMIv1.  These documents have been superseded by RFCs
  2578, 2579, and 2580 which define SMIv2.  Since SMIv1 is no longer
  being used as the basis for new IETF MIB modules, the limitations
  identified in this Internet Standard do not require any action.

  7.1.2 STD 17, Management Information Base MIB II (RFC 1213)

  The limitations identified are being addressed:  the IP group,
  the ICMP group, the TCP group, and the UDP group are being
  replaced by IP version-independent MIB modules now in development
  in the IPv6 working group (for more details see the entries
  below for RFCs 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2096).  No replacement is
  being contemplated for the EGP group because EGP is a historic
  protocol that is no longer in significant use in the Internet.

| 7.2 Draft Standards
|

| 7.2.1 BGP4 MIB (RFC 1657)
|
| This problem is currently being addressed by the Inter Domain Routing
| (IDR) WG and an ID exists (draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-09.txt).

s/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-09.txt/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-11.txt/

| 7.2.2 SMDS MIB (RFC 1694)
|
| See Section 7.1.22.  Once a specification for IPv6 over SMDS is
| created a new MIB must be defined.

Where is Section 7.1.22?  I agree with the 2nd sentence, BTW, if
"must" is changed to "should";  it stands alone quite nicely.

| 7.2.3 RIPv2 MIB (RFC 1724)
|
| See Section 7.1.24.  This problem is currently being addressed by the
| RIP WG and an ID exists (draft-ietf-rip-mib-01.txt).

Where is Section 7.1.24?  I agree with the 2nd sentence, except
that the draft is now draft-ietf-rip-mib-01.txt;  it stands alone
quite nicely.

| 7.2.4 OSPFv2 MIB (RFC 1850)
|
| This problem is currently being addressed by the OSPF WG and an ID
| exists (draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-mib-04.txt).

s/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-mib-04.txt/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-mib-07.txt/

| 7.2.5 Transport MIB (RFC 1906)

s/Transport MIB/Transport Mappings for SNMP/
s/1906/3417/

| The problem has been fixed in RFC 2454, IPv6 Management Information
| Base for the User Datagram Protocol.

RFC 1906 has been replaced by 3417, and RFC 2454 is irrelevant.  So,
move this section to the Full Standards part, change the section
heading, to point to RFC 3417, and rewrite the text as follows:

  The limitations of this specification have been addressed by RFC
  3419, which defines TCs that can be used to specify transport
  domains in an IP version-independent way.  RFC 3419 recommends that
  those TCs be used in place of SnmpUDPAddress when IPv6 support is
  required and for all new applications that are not SNMP-specific.

| 7.2.6 Frame Relay MIB (RFC 2115)
|
| The problem has been fixed in RFC 2954, Definitions of Managed Objects
| for Frame Relay Service.

This section should be deleted.  As noted above, there is actually
no problem with RFC 2115 to begin with;  and anyway, 2115 is the
MIB module for Frame Relay DTEs whilst 2954 is the MIB module for
the Frame Relay service implemented on network elements.

| 7.3  Proposed Standards
|

| 7.3.01 MIB for Multiprotocol Interconnect over X.25 (RFC 1461)
|
| This problem has not been addressed.  A new specification should
| be created.

rewrite:

  This problem has not been addressed.  If a user requirement for
  IPv6 over X.25 develops (which is thought to be unlikely) then
  this MIB module will need to be updated in order to accomodate it.

Note that the analysis in Section 6 suggests that a whole new MIB
module isn't necessary, just updates to some object definitions.

| 7.3.02 PPP IPCP MIB (RFC 1473)
|
| There is no updated MIB to cover the problems outlined.  A new MIB
| must be defined.

s/must/should/

| 7.3.03  DNS Server MIB (RFC 1611)
|
| This document is HISTORIC and no action is required.

If it's HISTORIC it's not a Proposed Standard anymore.
Drop it from the survey.

| 7.3.04 DNS Resolver MIB (RFC 1612)
|
| This document is HISTORIC and no action is required.

If it's HISTORIC it's not a Proposed Standard anymore.
Drop it from the survey.

| 7.3.05  Appletalk MIB (RFC 1742)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB should be defined.

rewrite:

  This problem has not been addressed.  If a user requirement for
  IPv6 over Appletalk develops (which is thought to be unlikely)
  then this MIB module will need to be updated (or a new MIB module
  will need to be created) in order to accomodate it.

| 7.3.06  The Definitions of Managed Objects for IP Mobility
|        Support using SMIv2 (RFC 2006)
|
| The problems are being resolved by the Mobile IP WG and there is
| an ID (draft-ietf-mobileip-rfc2006bis-00.txt)

s/draft-ietf-mobileip-rfc2006bis-00.txt/draft-ietf-mobileip-rfc2006bis-02.txt/

| 7.3.07 SMIv2 MIB IP (RFC 2011)

s/SMIv2 MIB IP/SMIv2 IP MIB/

| The problems have been addressed in RFC 2851, Textual Conventions
| for Internet Network Addresses, and RFC 2465, Management Information
| Base for IP Version 6: Textual Conventions and General Group.

RFC 2851 has been replaced by RFC 3291, and RFC 2465 is going to be
replaced because implementation experience has indicated that it was
the wrong approach.  I therefore recommend that the above paragraph
be rewritten as follows:

  This issue is being resolved by the IPv6 WG and there is an
  ID (draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2011-update-03.txt).

Note:  please insert the tag for the latest version of the I-D;
my understanding is that -04 is expected "any day now" with
changes to resolve WG last call comments.

| 7.3.08 SNMPv2 MIB TCP (RFC 2012)

s/SNMPv2 MIB TCP/SMIv2 TCP MIB/

| The problems have been addressed in RFC 2452, IPv6 Management
| Information Base for the Transmission Control Protocol.

RFC 2452 is headed to the dustbin, so pls rewrite:

  This issue is being resolved by the IPv6 WG and there is an
  ID (draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2012-update-03.txt).

Note:  insert that tag for the latest version of the I-D;
my understanding is that -04 is expected "any day now" with
changes to resolve WG last call comments.

| 7.3.09  SNMPv2 MIB UDP (RFC 2013)

s/SNMPv2 MIB UDP/SMIv2 UDP MIB/

| The problems have been addressed in RFC 2454, IPv6 Management
| Information Base for the User Datagram Protocol.

RFC 2454 is headed for dustbin, so pls rewrite:

  This issue is being resolved by the IPv6 WG.

At this time there is no I-D: draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2013-update-00.txt
did exist but it has expired.  A new version has been promised;
the main obstacle is lack of an editor (volunteers welcome).

| 7.3.10  RMON MIB (RFC 2021)?

s/RMON MIB/RMON-II MIB/
remove question mark

| The problems have been addressed in RFC 2819, Remote Network
| Monitoring Management Information Base.

That is false:  RFC 2021 is RMON-II, and RFC 2819 is the full
standard version of RMON-I (formerly RFCs 1271 and 1757).  There
is a work underway to update RFC 2021, however;  so the correct
statement is probably this:

  This issue is being resolved by the RMONMIB WG and there is an
  ID (draft-ietf-rmonmib-rmon2-v2-00.txt).

In fact draft-ietf-rmonmib-rmon2-v2-00.txt doesn't actually address
the problem but I have raised the issue on the RMONMIB mailing list.

| 7.3.11  DataLink Switching using SMIv2 MIB (RFC 2022)

s/2022/2024/
Note: RFC 2022 is the multicast over ATM spec (MARS and so on)

| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB should be
| defined.

s/a new/an updated/

| 7.3.12  IP Forwarding Table MIB (RFC 2096)
|
| This issue is being worked on by the IPv6 WG and an ID exists to
| address this (draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2096-update-00.txt)

s/draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2096-update-00.txt/draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2096-update-05.txt/
(it was posted on 29 Aug 2003, should be listed on IPv6 WG charter page by now)

| 7.3.13  Classical IP & ARP over ATM MIB (RFC 2320)
|
| The problems identified are not addressed and a new MIB must be
| defined.

The previous paragraph should be rewritten along the following
lines:

  The current version of Classical IP and ARP over ATM (RFC xxxx)
  does not support IPv6.  If and when that protocol specification
  is updated to add IPv6 support, then new MIB objects to represent
  IPv6 addresses will need to be added to this MIB module.

| 7.3.14  Multicast over UNI 3.0/3.1 ATM MIB (RFC 2417)
|
| The problems identified are not addressed and a new MIB must be
| defined.

The previous paragraph should be rewritten along the following
lines:

  The current version of Multicast over UNI 3.0/3.1 ATM (RFC
  xxxx) does not support IPv6.  If and when that protocol
  specification is updated to add IPv6 support, then new MIB
  objects to represent IPv6 addresses will need to be added to
  this MIB module.

| 7.3.15  ATM MIB (RFC 2515)
|
| The problems identified are not addressed and a new MIB must be
| defined.

rewrite:

  The AToM MIB WG is currently collecting implementation reports for RFC
  2515 and is considering whether to advance, revise, or retire this
  specification.  The problems identified have been brought to the
  attention of the WG.

I know that last sentence is true, since I just sent a message to that
effect to atommib@research.telcordia.com :-)

| 7.3.16  TN3270 MIB (RFC 2562)
|
| The problems identified are not addressed and a new MIB may be
| defined.

rewrite:

  The problems identified are not being addressed and a new MIB
  module may need to be defined.

| 7.3.17  Application MIB (RFC 2564)
|
| The problems identified are not addressed and a new MIB may be
| defined.
| One possible solution is to use RFC 3419 TCs.

rewrite:

  The problems identified are not being addressed and a new MIB
  module may need to be defined.  One possible solution might be
  to use the RFC 3419 TCs.

| 7.3.18  Coexistence of SNMP v1, v2, & v3 (RFC 2576)
|
| There are no real issues that can be resolved.

rewrite:

  There are no issues that need to be resolved.

Note also that the coex doc is now RF 3584, which is a BCP.

| 7.3.19  Definitions of Managed Objects for APPN/HPR in IP Networks
|         (RFC 2584)
|
| The problems identified are not addressed and a new MIB may be
| defined.
|

| 7.3.20  RADIUS MIB (RFC 2618)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB should be defined.
|

| 7.3.21  RADIUS Authentication Server MIB (RFC 2619)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB should be defined.
|

| 7.3.22  IPv4 Tunnel MIB (RFC 2667)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB should be defined.
|

| 7.3.23  DOCSIS MIB (RFC 2669)
|
| This problem is currently being addressed by the IPCDN WG and an ID
| is available (draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-01.txt).

s/draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-01.txt/draft-ietf-ipcdn-device-mibv2-05.txt/

| 7.3.24  RF MIB For DOCSIS (RFC 2670)
|
| This problem is currently being addressed by the IPCDN WG and an ID
| is available (draft-ietf-ipcdn-docs-rfmibv2-01.txt).

s/draft-ietf-ipcdn-docs-rfmibv2-01.txt/draft-ietf-ipcdn-docs-rfmibv2-06.txt/

| 7.3.25  Entity MIB Version 2 (RFC 2737)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB should be defined.

Delete the above paragraph, as there really are no problems in
the ENTITY-MIB.

| 7.3.26  AgentX Protocol V1 (RFC 2741)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new protocol may be
| defined.

Delete the above paragraph, as there really are no problems in
the AgentX protocol.

| 7.3.27  VRRP MIB (RFC 2787)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB should be defined.
|

| 7.3.28  MIB For Traceroute, Pings and Lookups (RFC 2925)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB may be defined.

s/may be/may need to be/

| 7.3.29  IPv4 Multicast Routing MIB (RFC 2932)
|
| This problem is currently being addressed by the IDR WG and several
| IDs exist.
|

| 7.3.30  IGMP MIB (RFC 2933)
|
| This problem is currently being addressed by the IDR WG.
|

| 7.3.31  RPSL (RFC 2622)
|
| Additional objects must be defined for IPv6 addresses and prefixes.

s/must/should/

| 7.4  Experimental RFCs
|

| 7.4.1  Protocol Independent Multicast MIB for IPv4 (RFC 2934)
|
| The problems have not been addressed and a new MIB should be defined.

s/should be/may need to be/

This concludes my comments on draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv4survey-ops-02.txt.

Regards,

Mike Heard