RE: Review: IESG Agenda and Package for January 22, 2004 Telechat

Here are some of my reservations:

1. Section 1.7

   Basis For Testing and Certification. As a  basis for testing and
      certification of security features of networked products.

I would be reluctant to include this use. As a BCP and non-normative document, I fail to see how this can be a basis for certification. Some of our customers are taking very seriously certification of security, and if IETF is to issue a normative reference for such an activity, we need a more serious (and normative) document.

2. Use of term 'password'

This document takes a very odd approach for the use of term password, especially for a security document. It starts by claiming in Section 1.8 that 'password' will be used in a very broad way, kind of an alias for 'security token'. However, this is not consistently followed and almost all other instances of 'password' in the document refer to the old good interpretation that we all knew. On the other hand, other types of 'passwords' like SNMP community strings get special treatment in some sections.

3. Requirement 2.5.3 - If this requirement is to be followed for SNMP, any remote discovery or remote operation for an SNMP managed device would be impossible without the presence of a on-site operator to configure locally SNMP through some local craft interface. I do not think that this is BCP - at least not for some classes of networks and devices.

4. Same about requirement 2.12.9

5. It is odd that while talking about SNMP in the context of secure management, the document does not mention the need to activate the auth and priv modes, and the need to use access control with different rights for different sections of the MIB. Maybe if the authors were aware about how these can be used, their concerns reflected in requirements 2.5.3 and 2.12.9 would have been alleviated.

6. The way the first paragraph in Section 2.2 is written it makes a strong case against using in-band management. I would observe that this is far from being a BCP. I suggest that this paragraph be re-formulated. While showing up the increased risks and mentioning the attacks related to usage of in-band management, in should emphasize that there are means to defend, hence the requirements in the following sections.

7. The 'Warning' section in 2.3.1 is a strong argument in favor of RS-232, but has little to do with Security.

8. Sections 2.4.1 to 2.4.4 would belong to a 'CLI Requirements' document, but why should they be part of a 'Operational Requirements for Security' BCP? I would also observe that there is no 'standard CLI' - not in IETF at least - at this point in time.

9. However, if we are dealing with proprietary interfaces, why are requirements for 'Web interfaces' - quite widely used in device and server management almost totally absent?

Please do not interpret this as a fully negative view of the document. Quite the opposite, I find it very valuable, and there are many useful and accurate items. Most of my reservations are related to the management aspects, and to the fact that it provides requirements which are not aligned with a BCP. Maybe dropping 'BCP' from the title, and making the document just an Informational at this point in time would be better.

I also apologize for not having caught these during the IETF Last Call period.

Regards,

Dan