Re: Review: IESG Agenda and Package for January 22, 2004 Telechat

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Keith McCloghrie wrote:
> I'm sorry, but that is a second order effect, which is not part of the
> architecture.  Effectively, it's like a "secret society" which keeps
> its membership secret (i.e,. the users which belong to it), and
> doesn't admit to its own existence.

Right.  You could count the community strings as being similar to a
"secret handsign".  Whoever produces the correct sign, is assumed to
belong to the community: both implying belonging to a community, and
acting as a means to signal that belonging (i.e., as a password).

> Specifically, the SNMPv1 specification says that a message which claims
> to be from one of the users in the community (i.e., in the usergroup) is
> automatically authentic.  That is, the purpose of a community string is
> to identify, not to authenticate.

At the times when SNMPv1 was specified, people probably thought that
there is no need to authenticate, so the text becomes confusing to a
reader of the modern era :-).

> A common scenario for SNMPv1/v2c agent configuration is to define a
> read community string and a read-write community string.  How many
> systems do you know where a single user has two passwords and gets
> different access privileges based on what password that user logins
> with ?

Many users actually have separate accounts to do separate tasks.  You
could log in as root (or perform additional authentication to do the
equal) or as your username :-).

> RFC 3584 contains the SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB, which defines snmpCommunityTable
> to list the "community strings configured in the SNMP engine's Local
> Configuration Datastore" and each row provides "information about a
> particular community string".  Please note that the information in the
> table includes an SNMPv3 user name, and an SNMPv3 context.  If
> community string were passwords, why would you map them to SNMPv3 user
> names ??

I know little about SNMPv3, but if I understand correctly.. this seems
obvious.  As community strings act as authorization, and
identification (on the assumption that anyone who knows the string
belongs to a "secret society", like the above example), an SNMPv3 user
which has been authenticated (and at the same time, identified) can be
mapped directly to belong to a community -- instead of being a secret
society, it's a society of well-known membership.