Re: I-D ACTION:draft-farrel-rtg-manageability-requirements-00.txt

Thanks Andy,

We may be in love ;-)

> >It is an interesting read.
>
> This is more than interesting -- it is fundamental to the
> success of network management standardization in the IETF.
>
> All documents should have a Management Considerations section.
> IMO, it does not have to be as complete as this document
> suggests.  Specifically, this section (or another) should
> document which parameters MUST/SHOULD/MAY be configurable,
> but a complete MIB (or other interface) definition should
> not be required.  This can be developed in a separate document
> and a separate work effort.

Wrt this aspect, I want to be careful with the definition of "parameters".
I think we are talking about toggle-able protocol options (which we generally try to avoid
having).

Are you also including things like timers (which are often discussed as implementation
choices)?

What about things as fundamental as "the router ID of the node"?

I hope that we are not discussing, for example, listing all of the parameters that one
might want to be able to configure in order to provision a service. I believe that that
level of detail can be left to a MIB.

Cheers,
Adrian