From: Dan Hollis
To: opsec@ops.ietf.org; opsec@psg.com
Sent: 6/13/2003 6:26 PM
Subject: re: comments

2.3.12 Ability to Disable Directed Broadcasts
'These SHOULD be the default settings.'

s/SHOULD/MUST/

If you give vendors leeway to make stupid defaults, they WILL choose the

stupid ones. History has conclusively proven this. Look at all the open
smtp relays, and open proxies out there.

This RFC MUST be far more anal with defaults.

Basically, the opsec RFC should mandate that a device plugged into a
network with its default settings and no changes from defaults
whatsoever
MUST NOT be able to be exploited or used for any known attack.

There doesnt seem to be anything regarding default passwords, which is a

known avenue of attack on many devices.

-Dan