RE: comments

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Budd, Fred wrote:

> So every device must be initially configured through a serial port
> or similar mechanism? Seems a bit contradictory since one of the
> examples for the OoB interface (2.1.1) could be a
> [dedicated/isolated] Ethernet port.

This is an area that I think could stand some clarificaiton/rework.
The initial model here was a large network with OoB mgt.
We're now talking about making provsion for other types of networks/devices.

There are basicly two options: OoB management and non OoB mgt.
OoB management can be serial port, dedicated ethernet, whatever.
Inband can be whatever it is.

If OoB then initial config has to be done via OoB port.
If not OoB then initial config has to "inline".

A decision tree needs to be worked up and the profiles ajusted
accordingly.

--George