RE: Ability to withstand well known attacks

Ok I had to go back and read about syncookies.
http://cr.yp.to/syncookies.html is a pretty good reference for them.

Now I can see where syncookies would help in the case of a syn flood NOT
designed to
fill the pipe.
I also believe that things like juniper's firewall/ratelimiting helps.
Cisco's receive path acl's also help.
Limiting what systems can communicate directly with your router via acl's
also helps.

I personally think this last method is the best method as it also protects
against other yet to be discovered attacks.
If you can only ssh to my routers from a few "trusted" networks
then an new ssh vulnerability is mitigated (not eliminated but the threat is
lessened).

Are any of the router vendors implementing syncookies?

Donald.Smith@qwest.com GCIA
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xAF00EDCC
(coffee != sleep) & (!coffee == sleep)