RE: Ability to withstand well known attacks (fwd)

Ok we still need to capture the idea that vulnerabilities
KNOWN to exist in one product may be in other vendors products also.

CodeRed was NOT designed nor intended to take out cisco dsl routers.
But it did.

PingOfDeath was not targeted at linux systems but it killed some versions
of linux.

Etc...

That is why I especially like the nessus reference. Nessus unless directed
not too
will test a linux system for cisco vulnerabilities. As for the configuration
directions
"Use the current version and enable ALL tests (including the dangerous
ones)".
About the only thing I modify when running nessus is the nmap portscan. I
have it go from 1-65535.

George I assume that was your intent.

As for your matrix idea. I like it BUT it might make a nice addition of
condensed
information for a hacker-want2bb.

Of course they could just download nessus and run it against the target
system.

Donald.Smith@qwest.com GCIA
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xAF00EDCC
(coffee != sleep) & (!coffee == sleep)