RE: Dropping stealthing from opsec; Anyone for a little I>R<TF wo rk ?

Donald.Smith@qwest.com GCIA
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xAF00EDCC
(coffee != sleep) & (!coffee == sleep)

Not secret, NOT routable. You would not be able to route packets from
outside (edge/border)
to the core as a customer or peer.

> > No.  The point is to explore ways of making it impossible for anyone
> > beyond the edge of a network to address packets to any of the
> > interfaces of the core routers and have them successfully routed
> > there.  If you can't get packets there you can't attempt a DoS, you
> > can't attempt management functions, etc.
>
> I must be missing something essential here.  How do packets coming
> *out* of the core have anything to do with attackers getting packets
> *in* to the core?  Why would we care at all about packets coming *out*
> of the core?

As many of us have seen the cores make great reflectors if you can get them
to send packets
to a spoofed address. (TTL timeouts, spoofed bgp or other service requests)

> Moreover, if you can't get packets into the core, then it seems fair
> to say that the core doesn't actually do much, since its primary
> purpose would otherwise have been to forward the packets that do go
> into the core.  If nothing can get there, then utilization is likely
> to be pretty low indeed.

The core would continue to forward packets. This addresses the fact that
customers
do not (except PERHAPS in troubleshooting) need to know what path the
packets they are sending took.

> ericb@digitaljunkyard.net writes:
> > jc> I'm not sure I understand the point of this[1], but
> please do consider
> > jc> the effect of such a plan on path MTU discovery.  The
> ICMP messages
> > jc> from within the core do need to make it out to the
> sender in _some_
> > jc> form.
> >
> > Path MTU Discovery should not really be needed on modern Internet
> > backbones.  Every path I've taken in recent times has made it across
> > the backbone without chunking down from the Ethernet max.
> If there's
> > a bottleneck, it's outside the core.
>
> Yeah, I'd like to think so, too, but there are at least three
> considerations here:
>
> 	1.  Accidents happen.  Path MTU Discovery helps prevent abject
>             failure in the event of misconfiguration.  If we break it,
>             then we're saying that things _always_ must be configured
>             properly, and, based on history, that seems like an
>             untenable plan.
>
> 	2.  Some RFCs require the use of Path MTU Discovery.  You're
>             going to have to ... um ... "harmonize" with those v6
>             standards.

This stealthing requirement will require rfc violations. That is a given.
(ignoring ttl timeouts, no reply to icmp echo requests, no resets on closed
ports ... )

> 	3.  Packets leaving the core have nothing whatsoever to do
>             with whether the core can be attacked.  Attacks are based
>             on packets coming in.  ICMP errors leaving the core don't
>             carry attacks back into the core.  (Unless, of course,
>             we're assuming that the source IP addresses are "secrets,"
>             and then we're back to security-by-obscurity.)

If you can cause a core router to respond to stimulation as noted above they
make good reflectors.