If a vendor adds ssh to their product, I would be happy to see them
disable/remove telnet at the same time.
Agreed?

<\humor on
Also Im pretty sure this requirements eliminates one vendor entirely (the
"fix" for 95 was 98, fix for 98 was me ...)
humor off/>

Seriously what about support for end of life systems. Some vendors will
support at a bug fix level for a year or
so afterwards.