Re: draft-jones-opsec-01.txt comments: in-band management

> I had been wondering whether it would be possible to recommend a default
> IPsec profile for in-band management traffic to make it more probable to
> have something usable and interoperable...

Sounds like a fine draft for an IPsec working group.  I'd love to cite
it...

> Anyway...I thought I'd put it out there.  In any event, I would agree with
> Joel though that if we skip the IPsec 'recommended' profile then it would
> be useful to be more specific in how management traffic would be secured so
> that it's practical.

Right.   So give me some examples.  Right now, most of the entries are
of the form:

  Requirement: general, not-tech-sepcific, not-likely-to-change-over-time

  Justification: why, what context, threat/risk info

  Example: citation of existing technologies that meet the reqs.

How would you say

  "secure in-band managemnt => SSH"
  "secure time sync => BGP w/MD5"
  "secure routing protocols => BGP w/?"
  "secure [insecure protocol] => tunnled over XXX"

???

I think 2.1.1 is going to get a *lot* smaller and could
wind up with a table (similar to the existing one) listing
mappings and required options.

Thoughts ?  rough stabs at the table ?

Thanks,
---George