Re: Layer 2 access and Current Practices

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 08:33:29 -0500
George Jones <eludom@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I implemented it on a number of switches at DePaul based on the
> > following doc (as far as I know, it's still enabled):
> >
> >   <http://condor.depaul.edu/~jkristof/technotes/dpunet-rfc4.txt>
>
> Wow.  That's (still) excellent, as is the (omitted in this reply) post mortem.
> Thanks.   And the link does still work.

I wasn't clear, but I was commenting on whether port security knobs
were still enabled in parts of the network.

> I'm assuming that most of what you were using it for was end systems
> (workstations, laptops, etc) ?   Or was it networking gear ?

End systems.

> With change control, physical access, SNMP monitoring, etc. I just can't see
> a layer 2 device/topology change in core/edge devices going unnoticed by
> other means.  But then, per PT Barnum, you can never go wrong underestimating
> intellegence.

A network where such a thing would go unnoticed by other means is
probably a network you'd not want to enable port security on.  :-)

John