[Fwd: Re: passive packet measurement]

Mike, thanks for your comments; am forwarding to the
psamp list and will followup there. Nick

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: passive packet measurement
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:05:36 -0800
From: Michael MacFaden <mrm@riverstonenet.com>
To: Nick Duffield <duffield@research.att.com>
CC: calato@riverstonenet.com

Hi Nick,

Sorry to be so slow in responding. So thanks for the heads up.

We agree that sampling methods are complementary to current flow
based collection and also that both are pertinent
to ip router vendors.

I read the draft and had the following comments:

sec 3.1:

I can the benefit though in terms of adding new experiments to
existing ones without disturbing them, especially given
that the experiments work best when they have run to their
needed time span. Need to consider device reporting capacity
such that one knows when a new experiment can be created
or not.

sec 3.3:

I wouldn't characterize TCP as 'reliable' compared
to UDP. IPFIX simply refers to characteristic of being flow
controlled or not. Reliablity is one of those imprecise
terms that really depends on what your application does/needs.
There are applications using UDP which just as reliable as
TCP that use seq numbers and retransmits. With TCP,
one probably still needs an an application level ack to
be reliable.

export rate and max delay are hard things to keep bounded
given the nature of the input and the reliablity of the
processors and links between the reporter and collector.

sec 3.4:

Compression comes at a cost, either an onboard
hyphen chip or cpu cycles.

Spacial sampling seems expensive. Having
general purpose devices peering into the entire
contents of a packet is expsensive. Would require
special gear like coral reef, not common in plain
old routers which are optimized for header access.

Generally, there seems to be overlap with the IPFIX
requirements (specifically the contribution from folks
from inmon) but also the fact that an architecture
with an exporter and collector is necessary.
But I consider this good news. Maybe at some point the
the two learn from each other.

Anyway it will be interesting to see the frameworks developed.

Regards,
Mike MacFaden