Feedback 3

This email addresses topic 3 stuff I'd like to see in this draft. Or at
least I'd like the framework to not preclude any of it. These are
mostly things I've been working on lately. The examples I give are
mostly related to security and not in the sense of providing forensic
evidence of network activity like the "Hash-Based IP Traceback" but in
the sense of triggering alarms when the traffic looks fishy. Bits and
pieces will surely apply to other problems too.

Routers can detect ongoing DDoS attacks. The draft says that the
router sees a lot of traffic going to the victim address. This can
still lead to a lot of false positives (e.g. all busy web servers
would look like they are attacked). We can refine it further by just
reporting those destination that receive a lot of traffic from a lot
of fake sources. How? Install some filters that let through only
packets that come from some sparsely populated /8s and count the
number of distinct source addresses we see (I'm working on a paper
that shows that counting the number of distinct addresses can be done
pretty accurately in tens of bytes).

How would this fit into the framework? We just define another
measurement information flow with its own filters. Now instead of only
keeping a packet and a byte count for each "flow" defined by
destination addresses, the device also keeps another aggregate piece
of information: the number of distinct sources. And we need to add a
rule to the reporting part that says: report this kind of data only if
you see a computer receiving more than 1Mbyte/s from these suspect /8s
and the number of sources that send to it is at least 100,000.