RE: next step

As a general rule, there is hesistancy with regards to the offset/length/mask method of specifying classification rules for sampling since it is very hard to verify that no value a customer can input will keep from causing problems in
some dimension.  And the vendor always seems to get blamed in such cases :)   There is certainly discussion about it, but quite a bit of hesitancy.

It is generally preferred to have a list of interesting fields for classification (as is being defined in some versions of the proposed IPFIX data model) and let the fields be specified for classification.

Will Eatherton